CALS dean steps down to pursue government advisory work

Dean of the University of Wisconsin’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is stepping down, effective Jan. 1, 2011 to re-join the faculty and focus more on work with government agencies, UW officials announced Thursday.

Jahn’s decision came after she consulted with Provost Paul DeLuca and Chancellor Biddy Martin, who DeLuca said supported the decision and thinks now is the right time to change directions.

Appointed as dean in 2006, Jahn helped further CALS through her interaction with the agricultural community and her focus on undergraduate education and departments within the college, DeLuca said.

In her time as dean, Jahn eliminated CALS’ debt, increased extramural funding by 71 percent and helped secure the $130 million government grant that created the Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, a statement released Thursday by UW said.

DeLuca acknowledged Jahn’s accomplishments and said he hopes the college keeps making strides.

“CALS is in much better condition now then it has been in the past,” DeLuca said. “The research is stronger, the faculty is stronger and we definitely want to make sure it continues.”

In addition, President Barack Obama appointed Jahn as the Department of Agriculture’s deputy undersecretary for research, education and economics in Oct. 2009, which DeLuca said furthered Jahn’s interest in working with government agencies.

“That’s an interest that really caught her and she’s exquisitely interested in interacting with government agencies on sustainability research,” DeLuca said.

When her resignation becomes effective Jan. 1, Jahn will resume her positions within the faculty as a professor of genetics and agronomy, DeLuca said, and will also serve as a special assistant to both himself and Martin on sustainability issues through summer 2011.

DeLuca said an interim dean will be appointed as soon as possible, through consultation with leaders and faculty members in CALS.

UW will open the position and start searching for Jahn’s replacement before the winter holidays, but DeLuca said the actual search time is not definite.

The next dean of CALS will be able to deal with a broad range of responsibilities, DeLuca said, which includes maintaining relationships with agricultural communities and the USDA, among others.