UW asks DNC to pay for rally costs

Officials at the University of Wisconsin submitted a breakdown of further costs for reimbursement relating to President Barack Obama’s visit Sept. 28, UW officials announced Thursday.

UW billed the Democratic National Committee $990 for portable restrooms, $1,273 for bottled water and $632 for additional parking for a grand total of $2,895, UW spokesperson John Lucas said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald.

These costs were not included in the original contract UW signed with the DNC on Sept. 22, in which the DNC agreed to pay $10,500 for the rally.

UW Vice Chancellor for University Relations Vince Sweeney said in a previous interview with The Badger Herald the initial costs covered by the contract covered basic services for the event like electricians, plumbers, maintenance mechanics and groundskeepers – among others – employed by UW.

The extra costs were for unexpected services UW provided during the rally.

Sweeney said previously the extra costs were not going to be unreasonable or unexpected and that reducing everything to an initial contract would be impossible.

Despite these extra costs, Sweeney said hosting the rally gave the campus community the opportunity to see a sitting president, outweighing any costs.

In a statement released by the DNC Oct. 3, the DNC paid UW for facility use and production and travel costs incurred by performers.

The DNC could not be reached for additional comment.