UW Foundation member arrested

A member of the University of Wisconsin Foundation’s Board of Directors was arrested last week for allegedly selling counterfeit pharmaceuticals.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Timothy O’Shea confirmed officials arrested Marla Ahlgrimm on the grounds of selling fake medications, but could not comment further on the case.

As an alumna, Ahlgrimm has been heavily involved with UW, from serving on the UW Foundation’s Board of Directors to providing a scholarship in her own name at UW’s School of Pharmacy.

Sandy Wilcox, president of the UW Foundation confirmed Ahlgrimm is currently serving on the UW Foundation’s Board of Directors, and said whether she maintains her seat is up to the rest of the board.

Wilcox said the board does not meet in the near future, and only the board members have influence in her status on the board.

Ahlgrimm’s arrest is a separate issue, not relating to her involvement on the board, Wilcox said.

“Her arrest has nothing to do with what she’s done in the past and the fact of the matter is she hasn’t been convicted of anything,” he said.

The UW Foundation handles all monetary gifts given to UW as well as fundraising opportunities, according to their website. In addition to UW, the Foundation also serves other “donor-designated” units of the UW System.

Since 1945, the Foundation has accepted more than $2.41 billion, according to their website.

In addition to her involvement with UW, Ahlgrimm co-founded Madison Pharmacy Associates, Inc., where she is currently the president, according to the UW Foundation’s website.

She also founded and currently chairs Women’s Health America, Inc., a Madison-based company focused on providing hormone-balancing options for women, according to their website.

Ahgrimm’s attorney, Timothy Edwards, could not be reached for comment. The Madison attorney for one of Ahlgrimm’s co-conspirators, Erika Bierma, declined to comment on the case.

Ahlgrimm is set to appear in federal court Sept. 9 in New York, according to media reports.