UW System payroll and benefits director to step down

The director of the University of Wisconsin System payroll and benefits system, who helmed the system during two state audits which revealed millions in benefit overpayments, announced Monday he will step down.

Human Resources Director Larry Henderson said he would step down from his position effective March 14 in an email to his staff, according to reporting by the Wisconsin State Journal. He will be reassigned to an another unspecified role.

“Together, we have worked day and night to bring HRS to a much more stable place,” Henderson said in the email to the State Journal. “I’m proud of what we have accomplished together.”

The announcement comes after two highly critical state audits of the UW payroll system in the past year.

In 2011, the UW System spent nearly $80 million to revamp the HRS system after audits showed the previous program had caused payroll overpayments of roughly $33 million. Despite the revamp, problems remained with unauthorized payments, security and access.

According to the State Journal, the amount of overpayments has been reduced by 90 percent over the past two years.

“He has been tireless in his efforts to build a strong service center organization, stabilize HRS operations and support our campuses by providing training and business process assistance,” Interim Vice President of Finance Steve Wildeck said in a statement. “Larry’s tenure as director was marked by many significant accomplishments.”

Wildeck told the State Journal he would announce a temporary replacement for Henderson within the next week.