Violent protests erupted Saturday night in Milwaukee after a Milwaukee Police Department officer shot and killed an armed suspect that afternoon.

During the protests, protestors set on fire and/or looted several businesses. Gov. Scott Walker made the Wisconsin National Guard available to help law enforcement Sunday afternoon.

Violent protests erupt in the city

Around 10 p.m., protesters gathered near the city’s north side in wake of the shooting.

Around midnight, several businesses were set on fire as part of the protests. The BMO Harris bank on Milwaukee’s north side was set ablaze, as well as a BP gas station, an O’Reilly Auto Parts store and a Jet beauty supply store. A small grocery store is believed to have been looted as well.

At least four businesses and one car were set on fire, two bus shelters were knocked over into the streets and at least three arrests have been made, according to WKOW.

In a series of tweets, MPD reported more than 100 protesters throwing rocks and debris at officers who attempted to “peacefully disperse” the crowd.

One MPD officer underwent treatment at a local hospital after a brick was thrown through his squad window and struck him in the head.

According to MPD, a total of four officers were injured and 17 arrests were made.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said at midnight a news conference, protesters encouraged others to come out and assist with the violent protests by taking to social media. Barrett encouraged parents to get their children to come home if they are out on the streets protesting.

“If you love your son, if you love your daughter, text them, call them, pull them by the ear and get them home,” Barrett said.

At around 2:00 a.m., MPD started reducing police deployments as the situation became more contained.

Details of the officer-involved shooting

According to an MPD statement, two MPD officers stopped two suspects in a car on the north side of Milwaukee at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

Both of the suspects ran out of the car and a foot chase ensued. One of the suspects was armed with a semiautomatic handgun. During the pursuit, one of the officers shot the armed suspect.

The suspect died from his injuries at the scene. The other suspect is still at large.

Barrett said the officer had ordered the suspect to drop his weapon, but he refused. The officer then proceeded to shoot the suspect twice — once in the arm and once the chest — Barrett said.

The officer was wearing a body camera, Barrett added, but no footage has been released.

The deceased is a 23-year-old Milwaukee man with a “lengthy arrest record,” according to the MPD release. The handgun he was armed with was stolen in a robbery in Waukesha earlier this year, police said. The victim of that burglary reported 500 rounds of ammunition were also stolen with the handgun.

The 24-year-old officer has been with MPD for six years, three of which has been as an officer, according to the statement.

The officer was not injured and, as is standard practice, will be placed on administrative duty during the investigation and subsequent review by the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice’s Division of Criminal Investigation will lead an investigation of the shooting.