Walker names October Manufacturing Month, hopes to support industry growth

Wisconsin manufacturing industry employs 16 percent of workforce
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Employing more than 450,000 people, the Wisconsin manufacturing industry’s current success led Gov. Scott Walker to declare October Manufacturing Month.

Walker said in a statement Wisconsin manufacturers form more than 16 percent of the state’s workforce and contribute more than $50 billion to Wisconsin’s economy.

“Manufacturers are the backbone of Wisconsin’s economy,” Walker said in the statement.

The creation of new technology enables the industry, especially the state’s longstanding apprenticeship program, to stay at the “forefront of innovation,” according to Walker’s statement. 

U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin, said in a statement he will visit important manufacturing workplaces in Dane County and Waukesha County this month as part of Manufacturing Month’s kick-off.  According to Johnson, manufacturing jobs contribute to the state by generating well-paid jobs for people of all different skill levels.

“We need to overcome the attitude that work in manufacturing is second-class and that working in the skilled trades is undesirable,” Johnson said in the statement.

Nick George, president of the Midwest Food Processors Association, said in a statement the food processing industry increases the value of agricultural products produced in Wisconsin by nearly $12.6 billion annually through processing and shipping jobs filled by state citizens. According to the statement, a study by University of Wisconsin-Extension reported food processing alone makes up 259,600 jobs.

Wisconsin’s food manufacturing industry impacts businesses in several different economical sectors, George said in the statement. According to George, this impact creates a “ripple effect” that increases consumer spending, wages and taxes for the state.

“Manufacturing generates more economic activity than any other sector,” George said in the statement. “Every dollar of final sales in general manufacturing generates $1.34 in economic activity throughout the rest of the economy.”

Walker said in the statement, the state government would invest in the industry through ensuring manufacturers and workers have access to the resources and support they need.

Johnson said in his statement it is encouraging that Wisconsin education officials, state agencies and Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce stand together in support of Wisconsin manufacturing this month.

“All work has value and provides the dignity of earning one’s own success,” Johnson said in his statement.

Johnson said in the statement he earned a great living while working in manufacturing for 31 years.

The Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development, Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation and Department of Revenue are all involved in promoting Manufacturing Month, according to Walker’s statement.