Suspect in Gilman Street burglary under investigation for other incidents

The suspect arrested in a Gilman Street burglary Saturday is also being investigated for other burglaries across the city, police said Tuesday. 

The suspect, 33-year-old Xavier Garner, faces charges of attempted burglary, false imprisonment, possession of burglarious tools, obstruction, five counts of disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property, Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

According to an incident report, police were called to the home on the 200 block of West Gilman Street for a reported burglary. Once they arrived on the scene, one of the residents gave police a description of the suspect.

Officers were able to see the suspect through a basement window, the report said, where he appeared to be holding a screwdriver and ordering one of the occupants around the house while collecting electronic devices.

“The suspect was using the screwdriver to remove wires from the electronic devices,” DeSpain said.

It was unclear if the suspect intended to use the screwdriver as a weapon, DeSpain said.

Once police arrived at the building, they established a perimeter, including closing part of West Gilman Street.

“The police were ordering the suspect out, and the suspect was disobeying those orders,” DeSpain said. “When the burglar doesn’t come out, the officers there use a battering ram to knock down the door.”

Once inside the home, police were able to rescue the man the suspect was allegedly holding, DeSpain said.

“He saw an opportunity to leave that room,” and ran up to police with his hands up, DeSpain said. “He was passed back by officers to take shelter behind a squad car.”

Police were able to locate the suspect in another room shortly thereafter, and were able to take him into custody after using a Taser and a bite from the police dog, Josh, the report said.

Throughout the burglary, the residents were able to share information with each other through Facebook and texts before reaching 911, according to the report. They remained locked in their rooms until police arrested Garner, the report said.

None of the home’s occupants suffered any injuries, DeSpain said.

The suspect claimed to be in the area to “hang out in the college dorms,” the report said. According to the report, he said one of the home’s occupants invited him to party with them, but did not know the individual’s name.