Rep. Paul Ryan talks GOP agenda at national conference

U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Janesville, helped kick off this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C. by highlighting shortcomings of the Democratic Party and signs of renewal for the GOP.

Ryan, who recently released a report entitled “The War on Poverty: 50 Years Later” with the House Budget Committee, said he is confident Republicans are on track to win the 2016 presidential election because of the inability of the administration to promote economic growth and the troubled rollout of the Affordable Care Act’s federal health care exchange.

“They have spent five long years in power, and all they have to show for it is this lousy website,” Ryan said.

As part of a “party of ideas,” Ryan said he wants to let parents choose where their children go to school, give states control over their highways and lower taxes for businesses and families.

Additionally, Ryan said he wants to explore viable alternatives to Obamacare and increase individual choice in health care options.

“We are not just opposing a president. We are developing an agenda – a modern, pro-growth, principled agenda for our party,” Ryan said. “We are going to show the country that there is a better way.”