Holm brings levity in charge to graduates

gradanders
Graduates, families and friends filled the Kohl Center over the weekend for UW-Madison\’s 2013 spring commencement.[/media-credit]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egmgt5Y-7bQ

Abraham Lincoln welcomed dozens to sit on his lap throughout the past few days, as University of Wisconsin graduates celebrated their formative years as student badgers during commencement weekend.

Flocks of families and friends arrived in Madison during the past week for UW’s three days of spring commencement ceremonies, which began Friday, May 17 and continued through the weekend.

After an introductory speech from Interim Chancellor David Ward, who will also be leaving the university with this graduating class, the graduates heard from television series “Workaholics” star and 2003 UW graduate, Anders Holm.

Holm, in the commencement speech, shared his advice for graduates, his past experiences on campus and his own love for the university.

Despite noting that commencement speeches are his own “shortcoming,” Holm brought levity to the occasion. Holm introduced himself by describing his ideal entrance– a scene of “50 twerk babes twerking it” for him, a fog machine and groovy music.

However, Holm paired his jovial nature with some meaningful advice for the graduates, suggesting students begin a period of self-reflection in order to find both their strengths and shortfalls.

“To get what you want out of life, all you can really do is find out who you are, and do that,” Holm said.

By thinking about who you are, it will help you figure out where you best fit in and what you are worth, Holm said.

Despite emphasizing that everybody is “unique,” Holm said being unique and being special are different, noting that “special” is something people have to work for. 

Holm, who pursued a career in entertainment writing after graduating from UW with a degree in history, reminded graduates of the hard work and determination that goes into achieving one’s goals.

“You have to be able to handle rejection — just get used to it. In fact, love rejection,” Holm said.

Holm emphasized the importance of work ethic, advising students to “always say yes” to extra tasks from their bosses, even if they do not think they can take them on. 

However, his tips were not without comedic relief and awareness of the more fun things in life. 

“Be prepared to work harder than anybody else for what you want, but always take time to watch cartoons,” Holm said. 

Holm ended his points on a more serious note, encouraging curiosity and advising students to always ask questions and “want to know things.” 

Holm concluded along the same thread he began-promoting self-awareness and self-acceptance. 

“Consider what other people think of you, but don’t be afraid of what they think of you,” Holm said. 

Ending on a lighter note, Holm concluded his commencement speech with a quote from actor Jamie Foxx, which he admitted made no sense and had no relation to his advice.

However, according to Holm, “no matter what you say, if you say it slowly, in a cool robe, then it will sound more smarter.

“Jog less.”