GOP alleges Capitol Police not doing enough to calm protesters

As protesters commemorate the one-year anniversary of the budget repair bill protests, many workers at the Capitol building are reporting disturbances by consistent protesters and are calling for action to be taken.

Rep. David Craig, R-Big Bend, and Rep. Paul Farrow, R-Pewaukee, sent a letter to the Secretary of Wisconsin Department of Administration Mike Huebsch, citing several disturbances by protesters and asking for action to be taken.

According to a statement released by Craig and Farrow, the Solidarity Singers, organized labor groups and other protester-affiliated events have blatantly ignored and broke new rules that took effect Dec. 16, 2011. 

The statement said that for the Capitol police to continually overlook these infractions and capitulate to the demands of the disillusioned few is tantamount to a violation of rights for the law-abiding citizens who visit the Capitol every day. 

Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, said he believes Republicans are attempting to cover up their own illegal activity.

“I read the letter, and it just struck me as much ado about nothing,” Hulsey said. “After all the law-breaking and corruption that the Republicans have brought to this legislative session, … now they are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with the Capitol police.”

The joint statement cites a number of disturbances, including the noise of many officially banned items such as drums and megaphones, along with screams disrupting a meeting of the Assembly Committee on Consumer Protection and Personal Privacy on the third floor.

Farrow also pointed to an annual Youth in Government seminar he was holding in the North Hearing room when two protesters interrupted, “causing great alarm and disturbance to the children,” the statement said. 

University of Wisconsin College Republican Chairman Jeff Snow said he is not surprised by the protesters’ actions.

“These people are obviously very passionate about what they are doing, but I have never seen so much incivility in my life,” Snow said. “They have no respect for the people around them. All they care about is chanting catchy phrases. Their disruption of the government process and other ceremonies does not surprise me.”

The statement also said multiple weddings with permits to use the Capitol Feb. 14 had been interrupted by the protests . 

According to the statement, Police Chief Charles Tubbs had a “mutual understanding” with protest leaders that their festivities would last in the building until 1 p.m. and then disperse to allow the weddings to proceed. However, critics said the deal was not kept, and the protests went on past the deadline.

The representatives questioned why the citizens who follow the prescribed process of obtaining a permit take second priority to the protestors. They also questioned the lack of action taken against Capitol police who did not enforce Capitol access policy.  

Protests began last February in resistance to the budget repair bill, which took away collective bargaining from public employees. The protests of the last week are part of the “Week of Action,” commemorating the 17-day occupation of the Capitol building that took place a year ago.