Legislators push for extended unemployment benefits

Several lawmakers are officially calling for Wisconsin’s unemployment benefits to be extended before they expire for citizens on Dec. 31.

A statement released by 34 state Democrats urged Congress to extend the benefits because of the current recession. According to the statement, 234,000 Wisconsin residents are currently unemployed, and approximately 60,000 Wisconsin claimants receive benefits each week under the federal extended benefits program.

Rep. Kelda Roys, D-Madison, a co-signer of the letter to Congress, said for most families that have someone who is currently out of work, unemployment benefits are often the only thing that keep them out of poverty.

“This is important because when consumers can’t buy, it has a further negative impact on the economy,” Roys said. “We know that consumer demand is what drives the economy and creates jobs, particularly for low-income people and for those who are on unemployment. It’s a minimal benefit, but they’re spending every dollar of it to stay afloat.”

According to Rep. Corey Mason, D-Racine, another co-signer on the letter, unemployment is vital to several Wisconsin citizens.

Mason said unemployment acts as a safety net for those who are unable to find jobs in the current economy.

“There are a lot of people who want to get back to work, but the jobs just aren’t there,” Mason said. “Being a few weeks away from Christmas, it seems like the wrong thing to do if we’re a state who cares about our fellow citizens.”

Assembly Minority Leader Rep. Peter Barca, D-Kenosha said in an email recent statistics have shown Wisconsin led the nation in job loss in October.

“It is vital that Congress act to make sure Wisconsin families have access to this safety net, in the state where it was created, while they continue to seek employment,” he said in the email.

Earlier in November, U.S. House Democrats introduced legislation that would extend the federal unemployment insurance program through the 2012 calendar year and give breaks to states trying to maintain their assistance programs.

Political science professor Barry Burden said unemployment benefit debates often center around Democrats wanting to put more money in the programs while Republicans wish to cut spending.

“This is a game the two parties usually play with each other,” Burden said. “Democrats almost always want to extend unemployment benefits, and Republicans almost always want them to expire because they are too expensive.”

Burden said Democrats might have the upper hand because most of the public believes unemployment benefits are the right thing to do. However, he also said Republicans may suggest a counter-offer to attempt to allocate unemployment benefits from another government program to avoid increasing government spending.

Burden likened the process to a similar one that has occurred when natural disasters take place.

“After the flooding and the hurricanes and the heat, Democrats wanted to put more money into FEMA to help people relocate and rebuild homes,” Burden said. “Republicans said they didn’t want to do that unless we could find somewhere else to make the cuts. Both sides have a good argument to make. It’s usually a hard compromise to bridge.”