Crime in Brief

FORDEM AVENUE 

Homicide

Madison Police Department officials are following up on several leads in a shooting in which one victim was killed and a second was critically injured early Thursday morning.

The shooting occurred in a parking lot at 1782 Fordem Ave. around 12:05 a.m. and is believed to be an isolated incident with targeted victims, an MPD incident report said.

“We believe this was a drug deal that turned violent, and this kind of violence is certainly not uncommon,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said. “We do not have those that we believe fired the weapons in custody yet, but we have a lot of detectives working on it.”

DeSpain said Madison residents need to understand that dealing any type of drugs in any capacity can lead to criminals who will target the dealer and try to take their money and drugs.

SOUTH CARROLL STREET 

Disturbance

MPD officers cited 26-year-old Miles. E Kristan of Madison on charges of disorderly conduct Thursday after he allegedly dumped a beer on a Wisconsin lawmaker in a public bar Wednesday night.

The lawmaker, confirmed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel to be Rep. Robin Vos, R-Burlington, told MPD the suspect had been harassing him verbally since February, but the harassment escalated Wednesday when the lawmaker and two nearby state lawmakers were hit with the beer.

According to an MPD incident report, the suspect yelled something along the lines of “Money” and “Damn Republicans” while his friend videotaped him before dumping the beverage.

Although the suspect fled the scene, a Capitol Police officer who had seen the man before helped MPD identify him. Kristan eventually turned himself in.

WEST TOWNE WAY 

Theft

MPD officers recovered more than $575 in stolen retail items Wednesday night after tracking down two suspects whom security at Kohl’s Department Store indicated as thieves.

When store personnel tried to approach one of the suspects, the woman began to throw stolen items from her purse and additional items were found in her car, an MPD incident report said.

MPD also found heroin and paraphernalia in the woman’s car, which the responding officer cited as a possible reason for the theft.

“Heroin use is an epidemic in this city and we are growingly concerned about those using it,” DeSpain said. “There is a criminal problem beyond the drug use itself-those addicted have to find funds to buy drugs and we cannot arrest ourselves out of this problem.”

COLLINS COURT 

Overdose

Madison Fire Department paramedics revived a woman who was found unresponsive inside a public restroom at a local Arby’s Wednesday night.

According to an MPD incident report, after the woman was revived, she told officers she had overdosed on heroin.

“We see many people each year in Madison who are dying and many who are being brought back to life by paramedics, police officers and others as a result of heroin overdose,” DeSpain said.

DeSpain said heroin ingestion and overdosing is likely the biggest problem the city faces today. He said the city is currently working on trying to combat the issue from both a law enforcement and public health perspective.

SOUTH WHITNEY WAY 

Accident

A woman in her 60s was taken to the hospital in critical condition Sept. 14 after a northbound vehicle struck her while she was walking outside the crosswalk on the 200 block of South Whitney Way, according to an MPD incident report.

DeSpain said no citations had been issued as of Friday and said preliminary investigations show the driver likely did nothing wrong to cause the crash. He said speed and intoxicants were not a factor.

In the past, MPD has cited injured pedestrians for walking outside of the crosswalk with sudden pedestrian movement charges. DeSpain said he was still uncertain of whether or not the victim would be charged in this case and said the investigation is still underway.

CORRECTION: Due to a reporting error, the Sept. 19 article “Crime
in Brief” implied that the man charged in the disturbance on South Carroll
Street had been arrested for dumping beer on a lawmaker. The brief should have
read “MPD officers cited 26-year-old Miles E. Kristan of Madison on disorderly
conduct Thursday after he allegedly dumped a beer on a Wisconsin lawmaker in
public bar Wednesday night.” The article should have made it clear Kristan was
not arrested, but rather cited. We regret the error.