Wisconsin to challenge utility companies in lawsuit

Wisconsin, along with seven other states, is set to take on various utility companies around the country in an effort to make the companies act more environmentally responsible.

The Supreme Court agreed Monday to hear the multi-state lawsuit that is requesting the federal government limit the amount of greenhouse gas emissions in utility plants in 20 different states.

The five utilities companies argue only the Environmental Protection Agency can set emissions standards.

Of the companies, only Xcel Energy Inc. of Minnesota has customers in Wisconsin.

The Supreme Court announcement comes on the heels of new emergency orders proposed by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources to monitor carbon dioxide emissions from new plants across the state starting January 2011.

The emergency move would change the threshold at which carbon dioxide emission levels require a permit, said Jennifer Feyerherm, member of the Beyond Coal Campaign of the Sierra Club.

The EPA-enforced Clean Air Act is adding carbon dioxide to the list of pollutants that need a permit starting January of 2011, Feyerherm added.

Wisconsin, like many other states, must implement new guidelines to enforce the federal ruling of carbon dioxide regulations. Under the new provision of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean Air Act, any plant producing carbon dioxide at a rate of 100,000 tons per year would need a permit, Feyerherm said.

“We’ve had the Clean Air Act for forty years and it has helped our economy grow. Now the state just has to make some adjustments for the Clean Air Act to continue to be effective,” Feyerherm added.

Keith Reopelle, policy director for Clean Wisconsin, is doubtful that the new provision will carry much weight in Wisconsin.

The provision only applies to major greenhouse gas sources built after January of 2011, Reopelle said.

According to Reopelle, only one Wisconsin company, We Energies, plans to build a plant in the near future large enough to be affected by the provision.

The provision was created to target large greenhouse gas emitters, such as paper mills or power plants, and will not affect small, local businesses, Reopelle said.

John Imes, executive director of the Wisconsin Environmental Initiative, said while this initiative will not yield major results, it would send a message about the state’s green and growing economy.

“If everyone did their part to reduce greenhouse gases, our economy would be in a better place as would our environment,” Imes said.

According to Reopelle, Wisconsin’s rate of greenhouse gas emissions has been growing faster than neighboring states.

To effectively reduce greenhouse gases, Wisconsin needs to reduce its reliance on coal, a major greenhouse gas source, and then utilize high-speed rails and renewable energy, Feyerherm said.

The DNR will hold a board meeting Wednesday to vote on the emergency order, according to the DNR’s agenda.

“This will be the first national regulation of stationary sources, and from that standpoint this is a significant provision,” Reopelle said.