Two UW-Stout hockey players arrested for killing student

Two University of Wisconsin-Stout hockey players are facing murder charges in connection to the death of a fellow student after an incident at a bar last weekend.

Bradley Simon, 22, died Thursday afternoon from injuries he suffered in an assault on Sept. 18, according to a statement from the Menomonie Police Department.

Jedidiah McGlasson, 21, was taken into custody for felony murder, and Jared Britton, 23, was taken into custody for being a party to the crime of felony murder, according to the statement.

The criminal complaint against McGlasson and Britton will be filed Monday by the Dunn County Circuit Court.

The police statement said there was a verbal altercation at the Log Jam Tavern between Simon and McGlasson, Britton and other people at the bar. The altercation was broken up by employees of the bar and McGlasson and Britton left the tavern out the front door and Simon left the bar out the backdoor a short time later, according to the statement.

Simon was then seen on his bicycle heading away from the bar when he was confronted by McGlasson and Britton, according to the report.

McGlasson and Britton assaulted Simon causing him to crash his bicycle into a concrete wall. Simon flew over the handlebars of his bike and struck his head on the wall causing serious head trauma, according to the report.

McGlasson and Britton then left the scene before the police arrived, according to the report. Simon was transported to a local hospital by helicopter.

In a statement, UW-Stout Chancellor Charles Sorensen said he was severely disappointed in the alleged behavior of the two UW-Stout students, both of whom are associated with UW-Stout’s hockey team.

Britton had played for UW-Stout’s hockey team for three years and McGlasson had been recruited to play on the team, the chancellor’s statement said.

“Our prayers and hearts go out to the family and friends of Bradley Simon. The welfare of his family is first and foremost with everyone at UW-Stout right now. We are doing everything possible to help his family,” Sorensen said in the statement.

Simon was a senior majoring in construction, UW-Stout spokesperson Doug Mell said.

Mell said UW-Stout’s number one goal is to provide a healthy and safe environment for students on campus.

“This is a tragedy, Bradley Simon was the victim of a horrible incident, this has devastated a lot of people on campus,” Mell said. “Bradley touched a lot of lives on campus.”

Mell said the university is reaching out to the campus through the Dean of Students office and their counseling services.

The investigation over Simon’s death is ongoing, and according to the police statement more arrests may be coming as new information about the incident comes forward.

The Menomonie Police department will continue to work closely with UW-Stout and the Dunn County District Attorney’s office until the investigation is concluded and those involved are held accountable and brought to justice for this tragic incident, according to the statement.