Madisonians to take Polar Plunge at Saturday’s event

polarPlunge_LK
Last year\’s Polar Plunge drew about 1,900 students and community members, and it raised about $420,000 in total for the Special Olympics Wisconsin. This year, organizers are expecting 600 more people and are somewhat concerned with the time constraints.[/media-credit]

Special Olympics Wisconsin will ask Madisonians to be “freezin’ for a reason,” Saturday, as they host the 2010 Polar Plunge in Olin Park.

Director of Madison’s Plunge, John Weichelt, said last year Madison raised around $420,000 in pledges and donations, and he thinks this year it should raise at least the same amount.

Last year’s event drew around 1,900 plungers. This year that number will rise significantly, Weichelt said, up to 2,500 people.

Weichelt estimated 99 percent of the funds raised through the event are donations.

He said one potential challenge would be getting all 2,500 people in the water during the allotted time. The event begins at 11:30 a.m. and ends promptly at 3 p.m. Weichelt said continuing the event after 3 p.m. is not an option.

He added Madison Fire and Rescue will be running the plunging, and he thinks they will be efficient and safe.

In addition to Madison Fire and Rescue, EMTs will be on site ready to react to any health issues. Weichelt said he has never seen a major injury due to jumping in the icy lake, but has seen more serious injuries from spectators slipping on the ice.

After the plunge, Special Olympics Wisconsin invites people to another fundraiser at the Coliseum Bar, where three bands will entertain plungers and spectators. Attendees will pay $8 to enter and those who plunged will get a small discount.

“It’s a chance for people to hang out and talk about the plunge [and] to celebrate that we did well at the fundraiser,” Weichelt said.

University of Wisconsin junior Phillip Pratt did the Polar Plunge last year and though he said his schedule does not allow for him to do it this year, he would gladly do it again.

He added despite the bitter cold, the tightening pain in your muscles when they hit the water and the “ridiculous doggy paddle” you have to do to get back to dry land, it’s a good experience for a great cause.