Former governor gives speech

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson spoke in Madison Thursday about how his experiences as governor and U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services have affected his views on business and health care.

Thompson was the keynote speaker at the annual Wisconsin Forward Award Conference, an organization founded by Thompson dedicated to promoting efficient and productive business practices in Wisconsin.

Jennifer Alexander, president of the Greater Madison Chamber of Commerce, introduced Thompson, crediting him with starting an organization that has helped many businesses in the state.

“The Wisconsin Forward Award was launched because Gov. Thompson understood that good opportunities for Wisconsin workers depended on successful businesses,” Alexander said. “Many Wisconsin companies credit the Wisconsin Forward Awards as either saving their business or helping them to be successful in a very competitive global economy.”

Thompson said he was “delighted” to be at the conference and said he started the Wisconsin Forward Award 13 years ago to promote quality and innovation in business.

Thompson added his love and passion for Wisconsin — and for Wisconsin businesses — is what drove him to create the organization. He said there is something special about the state and that Wisconsin residents have a unique spirit they bring to everything they do.

“The whole country, the whole world is suffering through a recession right now and Wisconsin is suffering really [seriously],” Thompson said. “What we have to do, ladies and gentlemen, is to have that passion again — that we’re from Wisconsin and we’re pretty damn good.”

One main focus of Thompson’s speech was the current health care debate going on in Congress. Thompson criticized the bureaucracy and fighting in the government; however, he said he liked the fact that everyday citizens were getting involved in the process.

“The best thing about the health care debate is that America is getting involved. America is taking positions, strong positions.” Thompson said. “It’s pretty hard to find somebody that doesn’t have some opinion about healthcare because it’s personal to us.”

Thompson added there are 47 million Americans who are currently uninsured and regular citizens end up paying for it in higher premiums and taxes.

“Because of our political process, our ideology, our rigidity, our refusal to cooperate and listen to our customers, the taxpayers, the citizens, nothing has happened,” Thompson said. “Listen to your customers, talk to each other, cooperate, compromise and get something done. Does that sound like what we’re doing today?”

Thompson also spoke about his experience as president of the company Logistics Health Incorporated, which does vaccinations, physicals, psychological evaluations and treatments for the Department of Defense.

The company recently instituted a policy that allows for their employees to use the company gym for three paid hours every week. Thompson said this policy has helped to bolster morale and keep their employees healthy.

“It shows that a growing organization, dependent upon employees for being successful, can do the right things and still be profitable,” Thompson said.

Thompson did not comment on the rumors of him running in the 2010 Senate race against incumbent Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and Republican newcomers Terrance Wall and Dave Westlake.