AEPi awaits J-board rule

University of Wisconsin fraternity Alpha Epsilon Pi is awaiting a decision from the Greek Judicial Board regarding complaints filed in January alleging misconduct at an event at the Overture Center for the Arts and an illegal party.

The fraternity was on social probation, which prohibits the organization from holding social events, at the time of both parties, meaning the fraternity allegedly violated both Greek and Judicial Board bylaws.

A Dec. 18, 2009 letter (pdf) sent to Dean of Students Lori Berquam, Coordinator of Greek Life and Involvement Barb Kautz and an AEPi representative says there were “a number of serious problems” with an event held Dec. 4, 2009 in the center’s Promenade Hall and Terrace.

Signed by Jacqueline Goetz, director of event and patron services, the letter says the fraternity failed to have sober monitors, did not comply with crowd control efforts, engaged in lewd behavior and allegedly stole or carried in a bottle of wine.

The letter includes quotes from reports filed by six members of event and security staff, alleging incidents such as intoxicated monitors, a disapproving comment from the Madison Symphony Orchestra director, a male and female having sex in a bathroom stall and overall “chaotic obnoxious mayhem.”

The Overture Center retained $80 from the fraternity’s security deposit and prohibited them from renting event space for five years.

Overture spokesperson Robert Chappell declined to comment on the letter, but said with any event a contract is signed and both parties need to live up to the contract.

While a notice to appear before the Greek Judicial Board addressed to the fraternity says AEPi violated their social probation, AEPi President Jeff Herscott said the party was a philanthropic event, which is allowed by bylaws.

He said the event raised $2,010 to go toward the Jewish charity organization B’nai B’rith International.

“There were some people who didn’t hold their composure in the way I would have preferred, but I believe the positives greatly outweigh the negatives,” Herscott said. “It would not be fair to judge our fraternity by a few allegations by a few employees who have greatly outlived their college years.”

Herscott also noted the Overture Center retained only $80 from the fraternity’s $1,500 deposit.

The Overture center website also says the Promenade Hall and Terrace together cost $1,300 to rent.

Herscott would not comment on the presence of alcohol at the event or if a social contract was filed with the Interfraternity Council.

The second complaint filed alleges the fraternity potentially held an illegal party Jan. 17. The party fell during the Greek rush period, when new members are recruited and gatherings involving alcohol are not allowed.

AEPi was put on social probation after an Oct. 16, 2009 Judicial Board hearing concerning illegal parties in May and September of 2009.

The May 2 party complaint involved an alleged Mifflin gathering that would have been illegal under Greek bylaws requiring fraternities to file a social contract to hold a party.

The Sept. 5 event concerned a party held at 625 Langdon St. that fell during the fall rush period. A Madison Police Department incident report says a member of the fraternity rented the rooftop and it clearly violated dry rush policies.

A complaint based on the Overture Center letter has also been filed with the Committee on Student Organizations, according to Associate Dean of Students Kevin Helmkamp.

Herscott said AEPi met with CSO to be briefed on the complaint, but a hearing has not yet taken place.

CSO cases are assigned to an investigative officer from the Offices of the Dean of Students, who then reports their findings to the committee. Investigations are usually concluded within 10 days.

Herscott said he is certain the public sees AEPi as a benefit to the community and the results of the Judicial Board and CSO proceedings will reflect that.

“We are more beneficial than detrimental to this university,” Herscott said. “I don’t think the Jewish community or the Greek community can survive without us and the 6,000 people we represent.”

The Judicial Board’s response could range from a dismissal of the complaints to suspension or expulsion.

CSO has the power to issue sanctions within the same range as the Judicial Board and limit the fraternity’s use of university property.

The Judicial Board suspended AEPi in 2007 after allegations of hazing, but the decision was later overturned by IFC.