ASM seeks out ALRC tech. advisor

The Associated Students of Madison is currently seeking a student to succeed University of Wisconsin senior Mark Woulf as the second-ever non-voting student member of the Alcohol Licensing Review Committee.

ASM Legislative Affairs Chair Adam Johnson said with the appointment of Woulf as a permanent voting member, the ALRC will now have two student voices, benefiting the committee because a majority of its focus is on downtown life.

Johnson said they will maintain the hands-off method used the previous year by allowing any member of the student body to apply.

However, this time around, ASM will conduct an interview process and recommend one individual to ASM Chair Tyler Junger. Last year, ASM chair and Shared Governance chair selected the student without any official recommendations.

“Most importantly, we are looking for someone who will be committed,” Johnson said. “We are also interested in someone who is familiar with the alcohol policies in general or someone who is eager to learn about them.”

ASM Graduate Representative Erik Paulson expressed concern that there is no set process for the ALRC appointment, but said he would not stand in the way since the appointment must be made in a matter of weeks.

“It’s most important to make sure we get someone there,” Paulson said. “So I’m fine with it being a little ad hoc; eventually, in spring semester, we’ll more carefully define a procedure to go through”

Although the student will be unable to cast votes, Woulf said the position allowed him at times to steer conversation toward certain downtown issues to ensure student opinion was not overlooked.

“I am glad to see that the student voice is really heard in the city,” Woulf said. “I think the city is craving student participation in politics, and I am excited to hear feedback from ideas I brought up these past several months.”

When interviewing students, Johnson said ASM will look at composure, how well the student articulates ideas, and if the student can cooperate and relate well to others.

“The benefits of this position are learning about city politics, learning human interaction and hearing other peoples’ perspectives and points of view,” Woulf said.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said one of the criticisms opposed to creating the student voting position was that students were tagged as being disinterested in local government and it would be hard to find students willing to participate.

Verveer said Woulf proved this critique wrong with his strong attendance rate and high participation.

“I would hope for the student on the committee to be comfortable in actively participating at meetings and sharing their experience and insight,” Verveer said. “The ALRC will be looking for and expecting someone who is willing to articulate the perspective of a college student.”

Applications are due Dec. 22, and ASM will review them over winter break, aiming to have a recommendation for the City Council meeting Feb. 2.