MIU proposals ready for review

The second round of proposals for Madison Initiative for Undergraduates funds have been accepted and are now ready for review, the university announced Tuesday.

With 114 proposals coming in this round — compared to 29 in the first — allocating the limited funds will be difficult and competitive, said Aaron Brower, University of Wisconsin vice provost for teaching and learning.

The School of Letters and Science submitted 80 proposals alone.

Of the $10 million available for proposals over the next two years, $3.8 million was spent on the first round, leaving $6.2 million to fund proposals from this round and another planned for fall 2010. Another $10 million will become available for 2011 and 2012.

“We will likely have many more proposals that are really good that we won’t be able to fund,” Brower said.

Tyler Junger, chair of the MIU student board, agreed tough decisions would have to be made, adding $10 million over the next two years is not a lot of money for the number and quality of proposals coming in.

With extra time to formulate their proposals, as well as lessons learned from the last group of submissions approved, Brower said he expects this round to be even stronger than the last.

“Something we learned from the first round is that there isn’t really a clear distinction between hiring and student service or classroom service proposals,” Brower said.

Previously, the MIU student board did not review proposals dealing with faculty hires, but it plans to for this round.

“Having more student voice in the whole process is never a bad thing. I think it’s a good change,” Junger said.

Brower said he thinks there are also problems at the university that will need to be addressed outside MIU, as some are too broad to be fixed by its funds alone.

“We discovered in the first round that biology education is going to take a big effort by a group of people thinking in a very comprehensive way to try and address some of the issues across campus,” Brower said.