Doyle, others gather at Capitol to renown vets

Veterans_LB
Veterans and others gathered in the Capitol\’s public rotunda to celebrate.[/media-credit]

The state honored its men and women in armed services with a ceremony at the Capitol Wednesday, featuring Gov. Jim Doyle and Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., as speakers.

Doyle said all veterans deserve to be honored for their noble work and sacrifices, but he did offer his special thanks to veterans of WWII for their service in the war and also for their contributions to society postwar.

“I want to, if I might, and I don’t ever want to choose veterans between the different wars and conflicts, but obviously those veterans of WWII who rose deserve our special thanks and gratitude,” Doyle said.

He added WWII veterans are also meaningful to him because his father served in that war.

Veterans from numerous wars, including World War II as well as the Korean, Vietnam, Gulf, Iraq and Afghanistan wars, gathered with members of the public in the rotunda for a concert performed by the Veterans of Foreign Wars Band 1318.

Doyle also said this Veterans Day is significant because of the tragedy at Fort Hood in Texas, where a United States Army psychiatrist opened fire on his fellow soldiers. Among those who were killed were three Wisconsin soldiers, while three other Wisconsin soldiers were wounded.

“With the events of Fort Hood, we yesterday had a moment to pay homage … to members of our military once again who made the ultimate sacrifice,” Doyle said

Baldwin echoed the impact of the events at Fort Hood, and said she had the opportunity to visit the site with Doyle and attend the memorial service Tuesday. She said her heart goes out to the victims of the attacks, including the two service members from her district who were wounded.

Baldwin, who has attended the memorial event at the Capitol every year since she was elected to Congress in 1999, said the nation should pay tribute to families of veterans as well as members of the armed services themselves.

The theme of this year’s Veterans Day celebration was “They stood for us, now we stand for them,” according to John Adams, president of the Madison Veterans Council — the group that organized the event.

“On the 11th day of the 11th month, we are here to honor our nation’s veterans and their families,” Adams said.

Adams said this day was originally called Armistice Day, when the Allies signed the treaty which ended WWI in 1919. The day turned into Veteran’s Day after Congress passed an act in 1954 to recognize veterans from other wars as well.

Adams also stressed the duty of the government to provide more opportunities for health care, employment and loans for veterans.

“We must work to ensure that benefits are granted fairly and without delay,” Adams said.

Other speakers present included Don Jones, executive director of the veteran-advocacy group LZ Lambeau, and U.S. Army Reserve Brigadier General Marcia Anderson, who is also vice chair of the Wisconsin Board of Veteran Affairs.