Student Judiciary says CWC deserving of appeal hearing

CFACT_JS
CFACT representatives plead their case to Student Judiciary Wednesday.[/media-credit]

The Student Judiciary ordered Campus Women’s Center back to the Student Services Finance Committee for an appeal hearing in its decision released Wednesday, saying CWC was not granted a proper appeal process.

Chief Justice Trenell Darby, Associate Justice Kathryn Fifield and Associate Justice Konrad Krebs presided over the case, and in their final assessment declared CWC would not be allowed an eligibility hearing, but merely another chance at an appeals hearing.

“CWC shall raise any procedural violations SSFC has committed,” Trenell said in the decision. “A member of SSFC who voted in the majority in the original eligibility vote shall have the opportunity to motion for reconsideration.”

The decision added any additional procedural or viewpoint violations could be appealed to SJ, but none of the allegations from the SJ hearing and decision could be further addressed.

These would include CWC’s claim SSFC voted on their eligibility based on misinformation, which the SJ dismissed. SJ did, however, side with CWC for their count against SSFC holding “a fair and proper appeal on procedural grounds,” which in turn led to the chance for an appeal hearing.

SJ also heard the case for Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow.

CFACT cited four counts, which included those against SSFC Rep. Carl Fergus and SSFC’s exercise of unbrindled discretion, former Rep. Kyle Szarzynski abstaining from voting, yet not abstaining from participating in the vote for CFACT’s budget decision and intent to violate Associated Students of Madison bylaws.

The third count, against Szarzynski, was voted down unanimously by SJ after an initial statement by SSFC Chair Brandon Williams.

On the first and second claims of CFACT, SSFC asserted they remained consistent throughout all their decision both this year and last year.

“If you compare Mr. Fergus’ decision this year to his decision last year, you will see the decision has not changed,” said Legal Counsel for SSFC Kurt Gosselin. “We have included Mr. Fergus’ vote sheet on WISPIRG from last year and you will see that he did not consider WISPIRG’s campaigns a direct service either.”

He added the denial letters for CFACT for both years specifically indicated the committee never maintained CFACT’s campaigns were listed among their direct services, which showed SSFC remained consistent in their decision for both years.

In regard to the intent to violate ASM rules, according to CFACT, five SSFC members denied funding based on three violation counts found by the Student Activity Center Governing Board.

The SACGB stipulated that empty alcoholic beverages were found in CFACT recycling containers in their office. Also, CFACT was warned against using furniture from outside their office, which was found two consecutive days in a row, moved into their office.

CFACT President Alex Hansen said, “It was unintentional. None of our interns work back-to-back; we have campaigns with over 20 members and obviously don’t have enough space or furniture. Whoever took the chair didn’t know about this policy, and I assure you it wasn’t the same person both times.”

SJ has one week to release their decision for CFACT. Both SSFC and CFACT were pleased with the hearing and said they eagerly await a speedy and fair decision.