Committee meets to address Athletic Board issues

In hopes of resolving a longstanding debate over the role and operations of the University of Wisconsin Athletic Board, a Faculty Senate-appointed ad hoc committee met for the first time Wednesday to investigate several serious allegations.

The most serious of these allegations are threefold, according to Jeremi Suri, professor of history and former Athletic Board member who resigned his position because he believed the board has been advocating personal agendas.

First, Suri said the way in which current head football coach Brett Bielema was appointed to his position violated Wisconsin state statutes and university policies and procedures.

Essentially appointed by the sole discretion and action of then outgoing head coach and current Athletic Director Barry Alvarez, none of the standard shared governance procedures were followed.

“No one denied that fact,” Suri said.

Second, the Big Ten Network, which generates $11 million, was created without consultative input from faculty or the Athletic Board, according to Suri.

Third, there have been cases in which those with an oversight role on the Athletic Board and in the department have said they have been mistreated, encouraged not to voice their opinions and actively intimidated.

“The Athletic Board is only promoting the agenda of a small group of stakeholders and actively undermining the values of our institution,” Suri said in his letter of resignation to Chancellor Biddy Martin.

These and other concerns were combined with skepticism over an Athletic Board self-study initiated in part by NCAA accreditation process.

The self-study was reported to be unanimously endorsed by the Athletic Board and essentially explained its role is primarily advisory.

The self-study report defines the role and function of the Athletic Board as quite consistent with the standards of the Faculty Policies and Procedures, which define the expectations and roll of the board.

Suri said, however, the self-study report does not address any of the real questions surrounding skepticism about the function of the Athletic Board.

Widespread skepticism over the accuracy and authenticity of the report initiated the creation of the ad hoc committee comprised of seven faculty members to investigate and review the role of the Athletic Board and satisfaction of its duties, Suri said.

Professor of plant pathology Murray Clayton has been appointed as chair of the committee.

Clayton said he was aware of the allegations Suri conveyed, but he added the committee will look into the legitimacy of those claims — not making any further comment on the specific allegations.

The committee has been charged with investigating whether the board is doing what they are supposed to be doing as defined by the universities codes and standards, Clayton said.

At this point the committee will begin information gathering, interviewing current and former board members and reviewing the processes and actions employed in the last few years, according to Clayton.

Athletic Board Chair Walter Dickey could not be reached for comment as of press time.