Legislative Affairs backs student voter on ALRC

ASM_LK
An ASM committee decides to endorse Eagon\’s ALRC proposal Tuesday.[/media-credit]

Concern was expressed over the need for widespread support for a student member to be appointed with voting rights to the city’s alcohol committee during the Associated Students of Madison’s Legislative Affairs meeting Tuesday

According to Chair Adam Johnson, the Student Council is expected to pass a resolution in support of Ald. Bryon Eagon’s proposal to add three new members to the Alcohol License Review Committee, including a student member with voting rights.

“We should endorse this publicly. It’s non-contentious and I don’t think it will get voted down,” Johnson said.

The committee also cancelled the meeting next week was in order to attend Tuesday’s City Council meeting, where the council will vote on the ALRC voting student member.

Also discussed at the meeting were various aspects of the downtown plan, including a proposed two-mile long Lakeshore Path addition, extending from Memorial Union to James Madison Park. The committee discussed the possibility of the path being a boardwalk, making the whole area of the lake more accessible.

“Adding lighting and making back alleyways safer has been a concern for the Greek systems,” said committee member Josh Molter of another proposal that would renovate the Langdon area.

Johnson said he did not know specific details as the proposals are still in a draft stage, partially because the city is hoping for more student feedback. A big concern was maintaining and conserving the character of the area.

Johnson said most of the downtown plan proposals will make downtown more accessible and give people a truly unique experience. This accessibility would be the over-arching theme that ties every proposal together.

Although these proposals would cause more construction and more delays for residents, Johnson said he thinks students will be in support of them as campus expands.

“Whatever we want is still on the table. However, we don’t want to risk upsetting the constituency by dramatically changing anything,” Johnson said. “We are looking ahead to long term goals — to the next 25 years.”

He said the position of the committee is to relay the majority opinion and explore other options.