H1N1 vaccine arrives at UW; health care workers get dibs

The first shipment of H1N1 vaccines arrived at the University of Wisconsin Thursday and will go primarily to those working in health care facilities, making it unlikely any will be left for the general student body.

Of the 5,000 doses requested for the first shipment to campus, 2,500 were delivered. However, Director of University Health Services Sarah Van Orman said they were pleased by the amount, adding that, compared to other recipients around the state, 2,500 is quite a bit for a first shipment.

As recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this first shipment of vaccines is entirely reserved for students working in health care facilities, including hospital volunteers whose activities were suspended due to H1N1 concerns. The total number of health care professional students is approximately 1,500.

Although the vast majority of these first doses will be going health care workers, a very select few will be allotted to students at very high risk for complications, childcare workers and pregnant women, according to Craig Roberts, epidemiologist for UHS.

“I know people are anxious to get [the vaccine], but … we unfortunately need to follow these guidelines as far as who gets it first,” Van Orman said.

Because vaccine supply is completely controlled by the state, it is unclear when the next shipment of vaccines will come and how many doses it will contain. However, Roberts said UHS has been told they should expect weekly shipments.

The first of a number of mass clinics for vaccine administration is planned for Nov. 3 at Memorial Union, though this is entirely dependent on the next couple of shipments, Van Orman said.

A national resurgence of anti-vaccinator arguments has coincided with the recent release of the vaccine. Critics claim the vaccine was rushed to market and cannot be trusted. Claims that there are dangerous side effects associated with vaccines in general have also found new force.

Despite such claims, Van Orman said the risks associated with the vaccine are negligible when compared to the risks of infection.

“The risks of injury and death from the illness are far, far greater than the risk of anything happening with the vaccine. It’s simple math and statistics,” Roberts said.

In her professional opinion, Van Orman said this is an extremely safe and effective vaccine and she highly recommends receiving a dose.

However, Van Orman also recognized there are in fact some risks involved, and in very rare cases certain allergies can lead to very serious reactions.

While most negative side effects are relatively mild, people with known allergies to flu vaccines should not receive it. Also, anyone allergic to eggs should not receive the vaccine, as it is grown in egg cultures and there is a theoretical possibility that the vaccine could have some residual protein in it, according to Roberts.

The state of Wisconsin is not currently requiring health care workers to receive the vaccine. A policy requiring New York employees to receive the vaccine or sign a declination form has recently sparked controversy.