Student Council will require members hold office hours

ASM_RM
SSFC member Carl Fergus addresses bylaw changes to oust its members.[/media-credit]

Associated Students of Madison representatives will now be required to hold at least two office hours per week or face sanctions from group leaders.

The amendment, sponsored by ASM Secretary Kurt Gosselin, will go into effect next week. Gosselin said he pushed the change to help ASM reach out to University of Wisconsin students.

It states that “each member shall make every possible effort to fulfill their commitment each week during the academic calendar year, excluding final exam week, university-scheduled breaks or holidays and the summer session of ASM.”

Members will be required to give a monthy update to the secretary about their compliane with the act, and if they fail to comply, they may face penalites up to and including one unexcused absence, handed out at the discretion of the chair and the secretary.

In previous years, ASM office hours were expected but not regulated.

“This [act] increases the accountability of council members. The opportunity for [students] to come to talk to [council members] is great,” said Shared Governance Chair Melissa Hanley.

After discussing the benefits of this act, it was finally passed in a 9-4-6 vote. By the end of the week, members will submit their office location and hours to Gosselin and Vice Chair Tom Templeton, who will promote the information throughout the UW campus.

Additionally, ASM looked to review an amendment to protect SSFC from internal conflict.

SSFC Chair Brandon Williams presented a proposal to ASM for a second time Wednesday, after he came before the council Sept. 30 and was asked to make changes to his original proposal. The amendment would change the bylaws to allow SSFC members to be removed, essentially constituting an extra check on individual members’ ability to influence decisions.

“We need to trust in the members of SSFC in that they’re responsible people,” said Lauren Vollrath, chair of the Student Activity Center Governing Board.

The rule was passed with a 17-2-0 vote, with the stipulation that SSFC members who have been removed have the option of going in front of the entire Student Council to make their case. To win back their SSFC seat, ousted members must gain the support of two-thirds of the Student Council.

In order to institute these changes to SSFC’s bylaws, the council has to vote for the change at two consecutive meetings, which means the proposal will come before the council again at its Oct. 28 meeting.

The ASM Finance Committee also submitted its Internal Budget Resolution for 2010-11, which was initially approved by Student Council.

The budget was complemented with an amendment proposal by Rep. Erik Paulson for a creative works fund that would include funding for lasting artistic works, including literature, art, film and plays.

“I am fervently in support of adding this option to the funding on campus,” said Paulson, a Badger Herald columnist.

Paulson’s proposal was passed initally. However, a different motion for a technology initiative that included hiring a full-time technical employee did not pass.

“[ASM Chair Tyler Junger] and I had to compromise on the budget proposal,” Templeton said. “I’m glad to see that Erik’s creative works fund was in favor.”

During the meeting, Gosselin was appointed legal counsel of SSFC by the Coordinating Council.