System presents information systems

A University of Wisconsin System official presented a project costing $81 million to state legislators Tuesday that would improve the efficiency and integrate of UW information systems.

Tom Anderes, UW System senior vice president for administration and fiscal affairs, provided details to the Joint Committee on Information Policy and Technology on the Human Resource Systems project and fielded questions from legislators skeptical of its high cost and potential for success, stressing they are not looking for new dollars.

Eight million dollars was already cut from what was initially budgeted, and an additional $12 million would come from rebates from a nationwide class action suit against Microsoft. The system also saved $19 million in addition to their operating budget.

Rep. Phil Montgomery, R-Green Bay, expressed concern over who would be held accountable for the project.

“Are you the owner now of this project?” Montgomery asked. “Will you get fired if this project does not work?”

Montgomery said he was concerned about accountability should the project fail, citing a previous failed IT project costing the state $170 million where no one was fired.

He argued even with all the deadlines and safeguards put in place, some still fail and projects of that magnitude should hold someone directly reponsible.

“Our plan includes scope, timeline and cost,”Anderes said. “We have been working with Huron (Consulting Group Inc.) as part of our planning process. They have been tremendous support.”

He added they have a specific contract with Huron that could exact damages if anything went wrong or if Huron was not able to deliver.

While Montgomery voices concerns over Huron’s current review regarding accounting and financial misstatements, Anderes said he has a high level of confidence in their ability to do the work and there are no long term problems.

The project was passed with some hesitancy by the Board of Regents Sept. 11 when concerns about the unclear future of the Huron were expressed.