Committee backs lighting initiative

The Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee met Tuesday to find ways to bring awareness to students about the $50,000 budget for the new lighting initiative.

The lighting initiative was first sponsored by former District 8 Ald. Eli Judge and is being moved into the implementation stage by his successor Ald. Bryan Eagon, District 8. Its aim is to improve safety by increasing lighting along dark streets, particularly along Langdon Street and westward of the Capitol.

Judge secured a $50,000 budget for the initiative where the city would help pay a portion of the expense for homeowners who put up lighting in previously dark areas.

“We can create awareness for this program by talking with students who in turn can talk to their landlords,” Legislative Affairs Chair Adam Johnson said. “They can raise this issue, speaking up if they have a dark area near their rental they would like fixed and give the landlord the incentive that the lighting initiative offers.”

The increase in safety and the possibility of a reduction in crime were of interest to UW law student and committee member Josh Molter.

“Increase lighting, throw off crime — it’s a good pitch,” Molter said.

Also discussed at the meeting was a survey conducted last year by the council regarding nightlife issues and concerns of Madison area adults and students.

In a special presentation, Downtown Hospitality Council Rep. Rachel Weiker she said the main topics addressed in the survey were safety at bar time, transportation issues, restaurants and entertainment venues. Most people from the survey said they come downtown to eat, shop or attend special events such as the farmers’ market, sports games, Kohl Center events and Overture Center events.

The biggest concerns people had were the lack of venues to eat and shop at later in the evening and even more so the need for a movie theater.

Weiker said it is unfortunate some businesses in downtown Madison close early, because UW’s 41,500 students count for approximately $175.2 million in potential annual retail and dining spending.

“The need to develop better late night public transit options is also a main concern,” Weiker said. “Overall, we are hoping for more student participation and involvement when we take this to City Council so these needs are addressed and the student’s voice is heard.”

The committee also discussed their opposition to the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act, a piece of federal legislation would end subsidies to private lenders responsible for doling out certain federal student loans.

“The loan is crucial to students at UW because we are one of the fewer larger universities that really buys into it,” Johnson said. “The government puts in a certain amount of money and UW had to match that. It created a pool of funds that’s continually growing and would be a tremendous loss to students here under the reform.”