As cases increase, H1N1 contingency plans surface

New numbers released yesterday by University Health Services indicate the University of Wisconsin campus is still in the midst of an H1N1 outbreak, but do not suggest the need to enact advanced stages of the pandemic contingency plan the university has established.

Cautiously preparing for possible widespread infection, the University of Wisconsin has a pandemic plan that has been in place and under development for some time, according to Sarah Van Orman, executive director for UHS.

There are several levels of social distancing UW officials are prepared to employ, as part of this plan, according to Van Orman.

The first level involves canceling large events and gatherings, while the second involves shutting down all campus operations, according to Van Orman.

In anticipation of this second tier, professors are being encouraged to prepare for a 12-week semester in addition to their 16-week course plan.

Professors are also prepared to utilize online and electronic resources to continue instruction, should a mandatory break be imposed somewhere in the middle of the semester, according to Van Orman.

Reaching this top tier of social distancing policy would likely require a mandate by federal and state authorities, Van Orman said.

Such a mandate would require not only widespread infection, but also more severe illness than is currently associated with the H1N1 virus, Van Orman said.

She added there is a theoretical concern the virus could mutate into a more dangerous strain, however, it is very unlikely and is being closely watched by government officials.

Also part of the pandemic plan, UHS has mandated students be permitted to miss class due to illness without a doctor’s note this semester according to Van Orman.

In addition, last week the UW Board of Regents passed a motion suspending rules mandating the provision of doctor’s notes for absences extending more than five successive days for staff and faculty.

UHS evaluated 345 students with influenza-like illness during the second week of the semester, accounting for 28 percent of total primary care visits, according to a UHS report.

Ninety-eight percent of the total cases reported thus far have been students under the age of 25 and 14 percent have been dorm residents, according to Craig Roberts, epidemiologist for UHS, which is a surprising decrease from last week’s 19 percent. These numbers may not reflect the actual activity of the virus on campus, however, as many students have taken UHS direction seriously and simply stayed at home without reporting their illness, according to Van Orman.

“We will see basically anyone who wants to be seen, however people should always call and not just walk in,” Roberts said. “We don’t want waiting rooms filling up with coughing, sick people.”

No students have been hospitalized thus far due to the virus, Roberts added.

UHS will begin to offer vaccines for the regular seasonal flu next week, but H1N1 vaccines will not hit the market until mid-October.

While Van Orman hopes to be able to offer the vaccine to 60 to 70 percent of campus, Roberts said supply is at the discretion of the state health department and UHS will likely give priority to people at high risk for complications and health industry workers at first.