UPDATED: ASM, UW auxiliary funds to be swept in budget move

As part of Gov. Jim Doyle’s new biennium budget, all University of Wisconsin System schools must give back money from their auxiliary funds, money that the UW-Madison student government does not have.

Designated Fund 128, the budget calls for a sweep of money from University Auxiliary Units throughout the system, including non-allocable and allocable segregated fees, in order to support financial aid.

In total, Doyle is asking $23 million from the entire UW System. About $17 million would be used to fund Wisconsin Higher Education Grants and $6 million to fund UW academic fee increase grants.

$2.2 million of those funds are expected to come from Madison. According to Associated Students of Madison Vice Chair Tom Templeton, that means ASM, University Health Services, Recreational Sports, University Housing and the Wisconsin Union, among others, must pay a one-time fee.

Of the $2.2 million, $981,299 is expected to come from a range of non-allocable segregated fee units, such as the Wisconsin Union and Recreational Sports. ASM is expected to contribute around $180,000, the total of their reserve fund at the beginning of the 2008 fiscal year.

However, around March 2009, the university reserve board, with consent from the university administration and ASM, voted to spend the $180,000 reserve fund instead of increase student tuition in order to offset an increase in needed segregated fees.

“Doyle was using a snapshot from June 30, 2008. Between then and now, the reserve fund was spent,” ASM Chair Tyler Junger said. “The state believes the university has $180,000 it doesn’t have.”

According to Junger, ASM must now weigh its options and decide whether to raise segregated fees, cut services or fight the decision legislatively.

“We could just go with it. We could try and get segregated fees exempted from the funding, although the total amount doesn’t change and we would just get hit elsewhere,” Junger said. “There are also actions we can take in fighting it.”

ASM leadership met June 26 to discuss the possible impact. According to Junger, they decided to meet with the groups affected, the United Council and other UW System student governments to create a plan of action.

“There are a lot of unanswered questions and we’re currently searching for a solution which will best benefit students,” Templeton said. “This is a serious issue concerning the student body and we will work with the appropriate members of University leadership to develop solutions. We will come to more concrete decisions as more information becomes available.”

Junger, Templeton and other student government leaders are expected to present the problem at their next July 18 meeting.