Athletics spokesperson appointed as external relations chief

Former Senior Associate Athletic Director Vince Sweeney was appointed by Chancellor Biddy Martin Wednesday as the University of Wisconsin’s first ever vice chancellor for university relations.

Sweeney will be tasked with developing and executing a strategy to enhance and coordinate the university’s external and internal communications as well as state, community and corporate relations, Martin said in an e-mail to the Badger Herald.

Martin added she hopes it will be a strategy that will make visible the university’s strengths, contributions, significance to the state, and future direction.

Tasked with managing strategic university communications, Sweeney will coordinate the university’s messaging and relationship-building strategies across a broad range of audiences, from the campus community to legislators, parents, alumni, donors and friends across the world, according to a statement released by the university.

With a track record extending back to his years as an undergraduate at the university, Sweeney has nearly 20 years of personal experience at the UW and deep knowledge of the institution which will aid him in his new position.

Serving as senior associate athletic director for external relations since 2002, Sweeney has also served as the athletic department’s director of marketing and promotions, as well as being the university’s first director of trademark licensing, according to the statement.

Sweeney hopes to foster vital relationships with Wisconsin’s government, community and social sectors by “telling the story” of the institution.

“I think we are in a day and age where we need to tell our story better, so when for instance, the funding decisions are made at the State Capitol, they vote in support of? certain funding initiatives for UW-Madison that they feel good about and understand that it is an investment in the state of Wisconsin,” Sweeney said.

Published author of two books about the history of UW-Madison athletics, Sweeney is confident he is well positioned to play this storyteller role.?

He will not be telling this story on his own however.

“We will be working as a team.” Sweeney said.? “Not only with the university and communications people, but with other entities like the [Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation] and the alumni association to tell the stories that we need to tell.”

Controlling and conveying the messages of the university will be a vital responsibility in his new position, he said, so the multifaceted parts of the university are “singing from the same hymnal so to speak.”

More than creating a cohesive story within the university however, Sweeney is also looking to foster the relationship and position of the university within the context of the state as a whole.

“I think we need to do a good job of finding out what the people of the state of Wisconsin and all it’s various constituencies want and need from us and work hard to address those concerns as we move forward,” he said.

Martin echoed this sentiment and believes dedication to this type of symbiotic service is more important than ever.

“Now more than ever we need to enhance and coordinate our efforts in communications with community, corporate and state relations, ensuring that our research, teaching and outreach are understood and that they serve the citizens of the region, the state and beyond,” Martin said in the statement.

Though faced with many challenges as, Sweeney sees plentiful opportunity in assuming a position without any precedents.

“It’s part of what made this job very attractive…This is a new position where you are able to create a vision and work, I think with more flexibility in trying to reach that vision because there aren’t any preconceived notions as to this is how it’s always been,” Sweeney said.