Martin hosts discussion dinner

Biddy_SB
UW junior John Fink (center) participates in a conversation with the chancellor at her home Sunday.[/media-credit]

University of Wisconsin student leaders and campus administrators met informally Sunday night at Chancellor Biddy Martin’s house to reflect on the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates and to look forward to the vote on the proposal by the Board of Regents Thursday.

Martin said in the few days left before the initiative goes before the board, the university will be working on the most effective way to present the proposal. If the initiative is passed, work will begin immediately on implementing its different facets.

“Assuming that the initiative is approved, we need to get going on decisions pretty quickly,” Martin said. “We will work with [the Associated Students of Madison] to set up a student subcommittee and Shared Governance Committee.”

While many of ASM’s future leaders have yet to be announced, Diversity Committee Chair Steven Olikara said young, new leaders may make ASM’s role in the initiative less effective.

Since the chancellor has voiced a commitment to student involvement, Olikara said he has no doubt ASM will have influence on the direction the plan takes, but he is unsure to what extent.

“As you saw this year, we had members and ASM leadership who worked closely in collaboration with the chancellor and Dean (Lori) Berquam. If you elect completely new people, you don’t know what that relationship will be,” Olikara said.

Speaking on behalf of ASM’s two appointed officials, Olikara said it is essential for the organization to support the initiative.

“We think this initiative is absolutely necessary to provide a world class 21st century education for students,” Olikara said. “There is clearly a shortage in faculty; there is clearly a shortage in financial aid. If you look long term, the consequences of passing the initiative will outweigh the differential tuition.”

However, ASM Campus Safety Initiatives Coordinator Sol Grosskopf said the initiative would benefit from another year of review before going to the Board of Regents.

While Grosskopf said he believes in the ideas behind the proposal, in the end more time is needed to weigh the feasibility of the plan and to allow students to become more familiar with what it would mean for campus.

“I think students needed additional time to put their mark on the initiative and see concrete plans to show where and how this money is going to be used,” Grosskopf said. “It would be great to put a delay while waiting for increased infrastructure to this plan and to see if the alumni will be able to maintain their half of the initiative.”

Berquam said any and all students interested in voicing their opinion about the initiative are invited to travel to the Board of Regents’ meeting Thursday in Milwaukee. A bus will leave from Memorial Union at 10:30 a.m. that day to transport students there.

“It’s important for our campus to demonstrate its voice, its leadership, whatever position you have, you’re welcome on the bus. It’s important if students want their voice to be heard; join us in Milwaukee,” Berquam said.