Chazen expansion begins with much fanfare, gold

Chazen_LB
Lt. Gov. Lawton, Chancellor Martin and others break ground at the Chazen.[/media-credit]

Nine golden shovels broke ground east of the Chazen Museum of Art Friday afternoon, marking the beginning of the construction of a building expansion that will nearly double the museum’s gallery space.

Local and state officials celebrated the occasion, which marked the culmination of a project dating back more than 10 years, according to Director Russell Panczenko.

The $43 million expansion will add about 81,000 square feet to the museum and will include gallery space, study rooms, storage space, an auditorium and a larger museum shop.

Chazen Council Chair Tim Erdman said the beginning of construction was made possible by serious dedication on the part of council members and other museum officials.

“It is the jewel of Wisconsin and as far as I’m concerned the nation,” Erdman said. “It brings together so much inspiration and it’s a real benefit to so many people. It just is so fitting that it is here in Madison.”

The expansion was funded by a $25 million gift from Simona and Jerome Chazen and donations from many other private donors. According to Panczenko, the funds will be more than enough to complete the project.

He said the bids received for construction of the building amounted to 26 percent under the estimated cost.

“We’re getting the entire project: the whole building with all the details, all the furnishings, the whole site, the sculpture garden, the plaza between the two buildings and the mall that goes straight to State Street,” Panczenko said.

University of Wisconsin Chancellor Biddy Martin said the project is the first step in the formation of a cohesive arts campus.

She said she agreed with a comment she heard earlier in the day that the growth in arts resources could make Madison the “Athens of the Midwest“.

“The arts and humanities are every bit as important as our already very strong sciences,” Martin said.

College of Letters & Science Dean Gary Sandefur added the museum will be a valuable resource for students and faculty on campus, and it will also provide a space for collaboration not found anywhere else.

“It’s also important as far as teaching,” Sandefur said. “Undergraduates and graduates on this campus take advantage of the materials and resources [found at Chazen].”

According to Jerome, the expansion is scheduled to open on Oct. 22, 2011, as that is the only October weekend when a home football game will not take place.

While Simona said the beginning of construction has been a long time coming, the project has proceeded relatively quickly compared to other university projects.

She went on to say that while recently UW has seen a lot of changes, to her, the heart of the university has remained the same and the expansion will only add to that.

“This will be the best university museum in the country,” she said.