Man thwarts armed robbers

A pizza deliveryman became the victim of an armed robbery early Thursday morning after two men approached his car carrying a gun.

The man, an employee of Extreme Pizza, located at 605 E. Washington Ave., was robbed on the 800 block of East Washington Avenue shortly before 1 a.m. after delivering a pizza to a customer, according to Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

The 27-year-old victim arrived at his car when two suspects approached him. According to an incident report, one man pointed a handgun at the victim, who initially refused to turn over the money. The gunman pulled the trigger and though the victim heard a “click,” no bullet was fired.

The deliveryman then agreed to give him the money in the truck, but the robbers demanded the victim hand over his wallet and open the truck’s trunk as well, according to the report.

The victim refused and, after he managed to obtain the gun, proceeded to punch the suspect with the faulted handgun until the suspect fell to the ground.

When the deliveryman dropped the gun, the second suspect picked it up, pointed it at him, and he and his partner fled the scene.

According to the report, Frederick Leon Jones, 19, of Madison, and Johnathan Ivory Jones, 20, of Brooklyn, Wis., were both arrested on the 100 block of East Gorham Street in a vehicle. Both suspects were tentatively charged with armed robbery after a handgun was recovered from the vehicle, the report said.

Robberies of delivery trucks are not uncommon to the downtown area, according to DeSpain.

“Delivery drivers have been targeted in the past; not just pizza, sometimes sandwich shops, cab drivers, etc.,” DeSpain said. “But anyone driving in a car that has cash sometimes is a target for robbers.”

District 2 Alder-elect Bridget Maniaci said nighttime safety is always a concern. Although implementing additional streetlights throughout the district could help the problem, people have to take the necessary steps to ensure their safety, she added.

Maniaci advised people to take late-night transportations such as busses and taxicabs, adding people need to be aware of their surroundings.

“Anytime possible, people should really take the necessary steps so they’re not walking by themselves at night. … There are a lot of issues to safety during the evening and people should take every precaution if they’re by themselves,” Maniaci said.