ASM fails to certify results

The University of Wisconsin student body will have to wait one or two days to hear the results of the electronically tallied Associated Students of Madison election due to the council’s inability to meet the five-person quorum needed Wednesday to certify the results.

According to ASM election bylaws, five members of the Student Judiciary committee, including the Student Elections Committee chair, must be present to confirm all election results before they can be sent out to the student body, ASM Vice Chair Hannah Karns said.

“It’s all recorded online,” ASM member Kurt Gosselin said regarding the election results. “They just look at it online, make sure there wasn’t anything wrong with it and then post the result.”

Despite the efforts made by Karns and Student Services Finance Committee Chair Carl Fergus to get members of the Student Judiciary to meet Wednesday night, the Student Judiciary could still not meet quorum, according to ASM member Tyler Junger.

SEC Chair Katherine Tondrowski was present at the initial meeting scheduled by the Student Judiciary to review the results, according to Karns, but at that time, SJ did not meet quorum.

Karns added that when quorum was not met, Tondrowski left.

Shortly after, four members of Student Judiciary were present in the ASM offices, though without Tondrowski present, the results could not be verified.

“She was writing a paper,” Gosselin said. “Not everyone was on the same page about when they were going to meet. It sounds like it was thrown together, and they have three days to make the determination.”

Gosselin added he did not think it made “too much of a difference” whether the results were revealed today or tomorrow, since ASM bylaws grant SJ three days to review the results before they are submitted to the student body.

While Gosselin said he believes the Student Judiciary reserves their three-day right, not everyone shared that opinion.

“I think it’s important to be respectful and to react as quickly as possible,” Karns said. “There was a lot of debate about the importance of the election results getting out.”

Junger said he agreed the results should have been posted tonight.

“I think it’s important for the image of ASM,” Junger said. “But the new term doesn’t start until the first of May. … The fact [the election results are] not out is not detrimental, it is just an inconvenience.”

According to Junger, the Student Judiciary will meet at 7 p.m. today to review the elections results. He added the preliminary results should be posted shortly thereafter.

ASM bylaws then grant the student body five days to file an election complaint before the next session of ASM is confirmed.

Tondrowski did not respond to several phone calls from The Badger Herald as of press time.