FACES raises money, sparking controversy

FACES_RM
Members of FACES campaign at Library Mall, Monday, following fund raiser held on April 4.[/media-credit]

A “fundraising party” thrown by the For Accessibility Community and Empowerment of Students slate to raise money for today’s Associated Students of Madison election has sparked some concern among current members of the council.

Held at the Lothlorien Cooperative on April 4, the fundraising party raised $160 to purchase paper to print flyers, according to FACES member Kyle Szarzynski.

According to a party invitation sent out to University of Wisconsin students via Facebook, a $5 cover was required by attendees, who had to be over 21 years of age.

Although alcohol was served, Szarzynski said the cover was not enforced and all age groups were welcome to attend.

“It was not 21 and up, but alcohol was served,” Szarzynski said. “People were at the door checking IDs, and then you were given a hand stamp if you were above 21.”

According to Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee Chair Carl Fergus, there are no bylaws within the ASM Constitution prohibiting the use of alcohol at fundraising events.

“This issue came up in the special election as well,” said Student Election Chair Katherine Tondrowski. “The only thing it says is it cannot violate any state or university policies.”

Although Szarzynski acknowledged the presence of alcohol, several other members of the FACES group said otherwise, including FACES members Elizabeth Wrigley-Field and Eric Hoyt.

“Basically it was just people hanging out and figuring out where to go next,” Wrigley-Field said. “[The slate] was probably just on the invitation to cover incase someone decided to bring alcohol.”

ASM Vice Chair Hannah Karns said though the bylaws do not directly state no alcohol can be used in fundraising campaigns, the practice is frowned upon.

Karns added she would advocate discussing the addition of such a bylaw in the coming slates.

“I think it sets a bad precedent for the future,” Karns said. “Associating drinking and elections and the student government is obviously not a good thing. I don’t want to tell the next session what to do, but we should at the very least dictate some discussion.”

Questions concerning the FACES fundraising efforts outside the school have also been developed, though the bylaws do not specifically prevent it.

Fergus added members of the current council have been searching the bylaws to ensure there are no rules regulating these actions, but have not found anything relative.

According to Szarzynski, all members of the community can and should be allowed to donate to the fundraiser.

“I don’t see it being a problem,” Szarzynski said. “I think other people get funds through a variety of sources, and it’s important to note the vast majority of fundraising was through people vastly affiliated with the university including students (and) professors … but beyond that I think anyone who shares the values of the slate should be welcome to contribute to it.”

Today is the last day to vote for members of ASM to represent in the 2009-10 school year. Those interested can do so electronically on the ASM website at www.asm.wisc.edu.