Hill not to face felony charges

Former University of Wisconsin football running back P.J. Hill will not face any felony charges in his upcoming trial, according to charges issued Tuesday.

Hill, 22, was arrested March 14 after allegedly hitting a guardrail at the Open Pantry convenience store on Randall and Regent streets. UW police said Hill attempted to flee after spotting the police, leading them on a short chase that ended when he hit a wooden wall on Spring Street.

Once apprehended with a female passenger in the vehicle, he refused a breathalyzer test but confirmed he had been drinking. He was then taken into custody around 2:30 a.m. and was released March 16, when he appeared in the Dane County Circuit Court.

Hill originally faced felony charges of second-degree reckless endangerment and fleeing police officers, as well as drunken driving, driving without headlights and reckless driving, according to UW police.

However, charges released Tuesday show Hill will not be facing either of the felony charges in his upcoming April 6 court date. Instead, Hill faces charges of reckless endangerment of public safety, refusing to take an intoxicant test after arrest, first offense drunken driving and operating without required lamps lighted, totaling up to $1,362.20 in fines.

His first offense drunken driving charge may become a second offense, depending on the outcome of another drunken driving charge Hill faces in Scottsdale, Ariz. Filed March 11, Hill faces not only the drunken driving charge, but citations for unreasonable speed and making an unsafe lane change.

He has also previously been charged twice with non-criminal offenses for disorderly conduct and illegal passenger riding on motorcycle, according to court records.

Hill decided to forgo senior year and leave the university at the end of the fall 2008 semester in order to be eligible to enter the National Football League draft. He completed his career with the third-highest rushing yards in Badger history, running 1,194 yards on 226 carries during his junior year alone, according to university statistics.

Hill is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.