Olympic envoy may visit area

Olympics
Workers prepare a Chicago park for a visit from the International Olympic Committee this week.[/media-credit]

A Chicago visit from the International Olympic Committee this week may detour to Madison, potentially resulting in the city’s ability to host summer 2016 Olympic events.

Madison is currently “on alert” in case the committee comes to the city to view the atmosphere, according to Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz.

“We have someone in our office who will be a 24/7 contact for them if they decide to make a visit,” Strauch-Nelson said. “We are ready to go and happy to show them around.”

Although the Olympics would be held in Chicago, Vince Sweeney, senior associate athletic director for the University of Wisconsin, said UW could potentially host award ceremonies for medal events. These events could take place at the Kohl Center or Camp Randall, he added.

Sweeney said UW is awaiting the committee’s phone call with “open arms.”

“We have not been alerted in athletics of any scheduled visits, but if there are any visits for their entourage to come to the community, just like the rest of the community and the state, we will be ready to roll out the red carpet and help convince them Madison is a great place to have an event like that,” Sweeney said.

Strauch-Nelson agreed, saying if the committee were to make a visit to Madison, the city is “certainly in the loop” and preparing for the visit.

Sweeney said cycling events could also be hosted in Dane County, adding there is talk about staging some bicycle events in Lot 60 on the UW campus.

Cycling time trials would take place entirely downtown, but road races would begin on the UW campus.

These details are only preliminary, Sweeney said. He added the majority of the community and UW campus are willing to host the Olympic events and would enjoy being part of “such a wonderful event.”

Hosting part of the 2016 Olympics would showcase the UW campus and how well the university can host events, as well as spotlight Madison and the entire state of Wisconsin, Sweeney said.