New pro-life ad campaign starts

Pro-Life Wisconsin launched the second part of its True to Life media campaign Monday by running anti-late-term abortion television ads throughout Madison.

“This aspect of the campaign is the next step in our efforts to come back after the killing of … unborn children, especially those children that will be killed during late-term abortions at Madison Surgical Clinic,” said Peggy Hamill, state director of Pro-Life Wisconsin.

The media campaign involves “beautiful” 30-second commercials which will run on three Madison network stations, according to Hamill. Nearly 100 commercials will be aired in a two-week period of time.

One commercial shows an ultrasound of a fetus approximately the same age as some babies aborted at Madison Surgery Center, Hamill said.

At the end of the commercial, the Pro-Life Wisconsin website, NoUWabortions.com, is listed. According to Himill, the website is a virtual hub for those who “want to exercise their right of consciousness to not be involved in the killing of pre-born children.”

Additionally, Hamill said a lot of anti-abortion supporters have agreed to boycott Meriter Hospital, University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation and UW Hospital and Clinics, which co-own the Madison Surgery Center that conducts late-term abortions.

The Center is managed by the UW Medical Foundation.

Shortly after Pro-Life Wisconsin’s initial campaign was revealed, Hamill said more than 20,000 signed a petition against the institutions conducting the abortions.

She added there are hundreds of patients who are changing their health insurance so they are no longer affiliated with the establishments.

UW Hospital spokesperson Lisa Brunette said though she has not seen the anti-abortion ads, Meriter Hospital, UW Medical Foundation and UW Hospital and Clinics have not been greatly impacted by the anti-abortion campaign.

“I think some people will make decisions based on [the abortion] procedure,” Brunette said. “But when people look at [the] really high ranking for patient quality and safety done at the surgery center, patients of UW hospital come here for care. … Health care is taken into account.”

Brunette added she has not seen a large number of people canceling hospital appointments and asking to change their insurance. She explained most insurance companies only permit people to change their insurance policies once a year, usually in October.

According to Hamill, “A civilized society understands that no individual has the right to intentionally take the life of another person.” She believes American life will become “barbaric” if abortion is allowed to continue.

However, Brunette said MSC began to perform abortions because several physicians felt the issue needed to be addressed.

She added doctors felt they had a responsibility to continue the work of local physicians who were no longer performing the procedures. Additionally, there are doctors, who, due to their personal beliefs, do not endorse the abortion procedures.

“It may be legal, but what’s legal does not necessarily mean what is morally right,” Hamill said. “Slavery in our society was once legal, but society realized those laws must be changed.”

The ads will run at least through April 6.