Assembly to vote on replacing punishment for unpaid fines

As part of a proposal set to be voted on by the Assembly today, individuals facing fines as the result of traffic violations would be allowed to keep their drivers’ license as long as they stick to a payment plan.

Under the proposal, authored by Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, and Rep. Tamara Grigsby, D-Milwaukee, citizens would be allowed to keep their license as long as they follow a payment plan set up by the judge in their case, according to Grigsby spokesperson Kevin Benish.

The bill changes current law requiring an individual’s license to be suspended until all fines and fees are paid.

The bill passed the Senate last month by a vote of 31-2.

“[The plan] ensures that people are still able to drive to their jobs and earn income that would still enable them to pay their fines. This legislation … encourages people to be responsible,” Benish said. “It will be particularly beneficial for low-income communities and working families.”

Right now, most drivers have 60 days to pay their fines before they lose their license, Benish added.

Republicans, however, are skeptical of the plan.

“I think it amounts to rewarding bad behavior. I think there’s plenty of time for people to pay their judgments — this just prolongs the process,” Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said. “I’m going to fight it. … I’m hoping it doesn’t pass.”

Suder said he believes the process will add more bureaucracy to the state and only create more problems for traffic and municipal courts. Although Suder is against the plan, he believes it will pass the Assembly with the Democrats holding a majority.

Kirsten Kukowski, spokesperson for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, expressed similar concerns regarding the proposal.

“We’re skeptical that this bill is necessary. If people can afford to continue driving and maintaining their cars, they should be able to afford to pay traffic citations within three months of the violation,” Kukowski said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald.

Kukowski advocated “more homework” on the bill to help determine administrative costs before the bill is voted on.