Parking lot robbed; local DJ’s vehicle ransacked

A disc jockey’s truck was robbed early Friday morning in the Buckeye Lot on Gorham Street.

When walking back to his truck at approximately 1 a.m., the victim, a 28-year-old male from McFarland, saw his vehicle’s passenger door open with a person rummaging through it, said Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for the Madison Police Department.

To stop the suspect, Nicholas Gritt, 19, of Madison, the victim closed the truck door on the alleged perpetrator’s leg, but Gritt ran from the vehicle. According to DeSpain, the suspect was carrying a “Slim Jim” tool in one hand and an object under his arm.

Gritt took off heading westbound on Gorham Street. According the incident report, the MPD assisted the victim in the chase after it was alerted of the incident by a Dane County Communication Center.

According to DeSpain, members of the central district MPD were already patrolling the area.

“They started chasing (Gritt) and about same time a vehicle takes off west on Gorham. There is a possibility it was a getaway car. We couldn’t see the guy who was inside,” DeSpain said.

Gritt was eventually caught and charged with entering a locked vehicle, according to the report.

When the victim returned to his car, he saw his laser light, valued at about $1,200, was stolen as well as the face plate to his stereo, DeSpain said. The stereo in the truck was also disabled and removed from the dash, but it was found sitting on the truck’s floor.

Bill Knobeloch, parking operations manager for Parking Utility, said JBM Patrol and Protection Corporation, a security firm, often patrols the Buckeye Lot.

He added this is not the first incident when the MPD has been called down to the lot. Sometime last year, a stabbing occurred near the lot and the suspect’s knife was thrown into the lot.

Because JBM was there, the MPD was contacted to help look for the suspect’s knife, Knobeloch added.

“It’s an open lot and kind of a connector street between (Gilman and Gorham) streets,” Knobeloch said. “There’s a lot of head traffic through there.”