New funding to go to local mill

Gov. Jim Doyle announced $1.7 million in Brownfield Site Assessment Grants Thursday, resulting in $73,600 for the redevelopment of the Garver Feed Mill in Madison.

A brownfield is a property that was once an industrial site but is now abandoned or underused because there is perceived contamination, according to Andrew Savagian, Brownfield outreach specialist with the Department of Natural Resources for Remediation and Redevelopment.

Examples of brownfield properties are abandoned gas stations, old factories and empty lots where there was previously a great deal of industrial or commercial activity, Savagian said.

Because of either the contamination or perception of contamination on such property, the land is unable to be reused, Savagian said.

“The problem is local government has to figure out what to do with [brownfield properties],” Savagian said. “They don’t necessarily have the funding to investigate and see what’s there.”

According to Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, the Garver Feed Mill will probably be reconstructed and redeveloped into an arts incubator site.

Savagian said Madison applied for a large grant — any amount of money between $30,000 and $100,000.

He added the Garver Feed Mill will undergo a phase one inspection where the history of the site will be determined through research and testing the property. The land will also go through a phase two inspection where the soil on the site will be sampled and some abandoned containers underground will be removed.

About 10 years ago an advisory group called the Brownfield Study Group brainstormed ideas to move brownfield properties toward cleanup and eventual redevelopment, Savagian said.

This is the 10th year Dane County has received money for local brownfield properties.

“The cleanup and safe reuse of brownfield properties is about more than just renewing damaged or vacant land; it helps spur additional reinvestment in these communities and create jobs for hardworking Wisconsin families,” Doyle said in a statement.

However, Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said though the brownfield properties “might be a nice project,” he is skeptical they are going to create jobs.

Brownfield properties appear to be a monetary giveaway to the city of Madison, Suder said, adding he thinks they are not going to stimulate the economy.

Additionally, Suder said more money should be allotted toward road repair. He said he does not think brownfield sites will lead to permanent jobs and economic stimulus money needs to be “shovel-ready” for projects.

Savagian said the $1.7 million is given for one budget year, and there are two years in each budget year.

However, it takes a great deal of time to investigate these sites, he said. If the site is abandoned, investigations and cleanup will take six months at the least.

He added land cleanups can take many years to complete.

“It varies depending on the size of the project; it depends on what type of contamination is there and it depends on the effort of community,” Savagian said. “The community needs to be proactive.”