Vendors might move to State

VendingCommittee_RM
Madison takes a step toward designating specifi c locations for late-night food vending carts away from Frances St.[/media-credit]

Late-night munchies may be available on the 700 block of State Street after the Vending Oversight Committee unanimously voted Wednesday to assign specific selling locations for night vendors.

The proposal, which moves to the Board of Estimates on March 9, would implement a licensing fee for late-night vendors and move large carts off North Frances Street, according to Warren Hansen, street vending coordinator.

Large carts will pay a fee of $350 per year while pushcarts will pay a fee of $125 per year to reserve an assigned spot on State Street to vend, Hansen said. He added vendors who buy their license before the price increase is approved will not have to pay the inflated price.

Furthermore, Hansen said carts will be given assigned vending locations based on seniority to decrease competition between vendors.

The locales where late-night vendors are currently situated is “experimental,” Hansen said, and the noise made by consumers was not expected.

“This seemed like the obvious choice, but we created a monster,” Hansen said. “There is now more food and vendors competing for sites. Whatever may happen, this will be a better-improved situation.”

Hawk Schenkel, member of the VOC and owner of Hawk’s Bar and Grill, said he thinks designating vending sites for late-night vendors is “appropriate,” adding it will keep vendors under control.

Schenkel said as a business owner, he understands the difficulties vendors encounter and they need to make ends meet. He added the proposal is a compromise between the city and vendors.

However, Becky Anderson, the owner of an apartment building at 405 North Frances St., said the vendors greatly annoy her tenants.

Many residents do not like the smells coming from vending carts, and the crowds at bar time can be dangerous, according to Anderson.

“I believe they have a life and need to earn a living — but not in front of the residential home on North Frances Street,” she said.

Hansen said he agreed the traffic caused by people could be a potential threat to residents, especially because there is often a drunken crowd surrounding the vendors.

He added the largest parking ramp in town happens to be situated on the North Frances Street, so automobile traffic also poses conflict.

Hansen said he does not think it will be an issue for large crowds brought by the popular vendors to walk an extra block to the 700 block of State Street to get food.

In response to citizens’ concerns about the lighting in the newly proposed location for vendors, the Traffic Engineering Commission is working to improve the lighting on Library Mall, according to Hansen.

If the proposal passes the Board of Estimates, it would move to the City Council on March 17 and could go into effect as early as April 15.