ASM, regents arrive at deal

The Associated Students of Madison’s Student Services Finance Committee criticized the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Wednesday for deciding to re-allocate $7 million of funding from the Memorial Union Theater renovation budget to the Union South Construction project, without including them in their plans.

“We were concerned because a chunk of that $7 million was coming from segregated fees,” SSFC Chair Kurt Gosselin said. “We felt that University System Policy F50 gives SSFC the authority and in fact, the right, to review any changes to those types of budgets which are non-allocable, and to make recommendations to the chancellor and administration.”

According to Policy F50, SSFC is guaranteed the authority to evaluate all non-allocable budgets and make recommendations to the chancellor. SSFC is also promised a sufficient amount of time to do so.

“We expressed our concern that shared governance was not being upheld and the elected represented of the students were not being listened to — we’re not being allowed to weigh in on the situation,” Gosselin said.

Gosselin went on to say their concern was not necessarily based on SSFC’s opposition to their transference of funds, but rather wanted their rights to assess the referendum to be respected. By confronting the committee, they hoped to avoid being overlooked in the future.

According to Jeffrey Bartell, Capital Planning and Budget Chair for the Board of Regents, the regents were unaware this funds transfer needed to be reviewed by the SSFC.

“The original approval was given for the whole amount without allocation to one project or another, was approved by referendum, and so there was no legal requirement for SSFC to make a decision,” Bartell added. “But because the students indicated that they were concerned about it and wanted to know more about it — our resolution requires that the UW-Madison campus to consult with SSFC.”

Bartell added UW officials agreed to consult with the SSFC regarding the proposal. He added SSFC does not have the authority to make a decision on it, but they will be given time to for review.

After their meeting, SSFC and the Board of Regents reached an agreement concerning a process for handling similar situations in the future.

The regents committed to requiring Facilities, Planning and Management, the Chancellor’s Office and SSFC to sit down together each semester to discuss the process through which SSFC rights are maintained.

The regents will also have SSFC approve the transference of funds from the Memorial Union Theater Wing renovation to the Union South construction project on Feb. 16.

“The Board of Regents regard the students as very important constituents and under our statutes under insured governance, we are very much interested in what the student think about what happens on campus, particularly segregated fees,” Bartell said. “We always listen to students on every aspect of university business, and it’s nice to know that students are paying attention.”

CORRECTION: The Feb. 12 article titled “ASM, regents arrive at deal” incorrectly stated that SSFC must approve the transfer of funds from the Memorial Union Theatre Wing renovation to the new Union South construction. That decision was made by the Board of Regents last Friday, and SSFC has no direct bearing on it. We regret the error.