SAT to permit picking scores

The SAT College Board has launched a new score reporting policy titled Score Choice, which gives high school students who take the SAT I and SAT tests multiple times the option of selecting which test scores get sent to universities to which they are applying.

According to College Board spokesperson Alana Klein, Score Choice was designed to meet the needs and requests of students by reducing stress and leading to a better testing experience.

“We surveyed thousands of students and they said a feature like Score Choice would reduce some of the stress associated with testing,” Klein said.

Klein said colleges and universities may still request all SAT scores, though they are hoping all schools adopt the Score Choice policy.

Although colleges have the right to create their own policies, enforcing them may be a challenge.

When students visit the SAT website, they are asked to select the institution to which they are applying.

At that time, the college or university’s policy will be shown to the student and required scores will be highlighted.

However, students still reserve the right to deselect the highlighted scores, Klein said.

A statement on the College Board’s web site reads, “Colleges and universities will only receive the scores that students send them. The College Board will not provide scores to colleges against students’ wishes.”

University of Wisconsin spokesperson John Lucas said Tuesday that Score Choice isn’t a particular issue at UW because the university has always accepted the SAT scores applying students want to submit.

According to Klein, Score Choice initiative will be available to test takers interested in using the policy in March.

UW sophomore Sara Friedman said having the option to retake the ACT made for a more pleasant test taking experience.

She said she strongly supports the SAT College Board’s decision to follow suit.

Friedman also said knowing test scores are no longer binding will alleviate unnecessary stress for students taking the exams, which will result in higher scores.

“Stress was a huge factor for me when I took the tests,” Friedman said. “The test is a big deal; it’s a big stress for everybody. It would make it a lot easier to focus if there wasn’t that lingering feeling that if you mess it up your first time around, you’re screwed.”

UW sophomore Becca Wong agreed the new SAT policy is in the best interest of college-bound students.

“I wish this policy was implemented before I had applied,” Wong said.”I don’t know if my scores would have risen without the added stress of knowing that all results must be sent to the colleges, but having the opportunity to get your grounds and take it more than once without being essentially penalized definitely wouldn’t have hurt my chances of doing better second time around.”