Virus outbreak’s spread continues

About 60 members of the Delta Gamma sorority have had or are recovering from symptoms common to norovirus as the disease that began in Sellery Hall spreads to locations across Madison, including the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, Ogg Hall and Statesider apartments.

Delta Gamma President Christine Binkley said the outbreak within her house began Sunday and has spread throughout the week. Currently no visitors are being allowed inside as they try to stop the spread of the disease.

Members who aren’t sick have opted to stay out of the house.

“Clearly it’s not contained to just the dormitory,” Binkley said. “But some of the girls have gotten hotel rooms or are staying with friends.”

Norovirus is similar to stomach flu and can be highly contagious. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and headaches. Symptoms appear 12 to 60 hours after exposure and usually continue for about 24 to 48 hours.

University of Wisconsin sophomore Konrad Krebs, a pledge to Delta Tau Delta, said he believes he contracted the virus while practicing for Humorology at the Delta Gamma house earlier this week.

“So many people over there have gotten sick,” Krebs said. “We were supposed to have

Humo practice there, and we moved it because so many people were sick in the house.”

Delta Tau Delta President Pat Flynn said at least four pledges and two actives of Delta Tau Delta seem to have contracted the virus.

A resident of Ogg Hall, Krebs said he believes several Ogg residents, including his house fellow, have the virus. A front desk worker at Ogg said she was aware of the situation but would not comment further.

Ogg Residence Life Coordinator Stephanie Masaros did not return several phone calls Thursday night.

University House officials confirmed Thursday night several residents of the third floor of Statesider have come down with what seem to be norovirus. Large tubs of Purell hand sanitizer have been placed at the front desks of Towers and Statesider as a result.

Sarah Van Orman, a pediatrician with University Health Services, said Thursday night though they have heard of rumors, there are still only 45 confirmed cases, all within Sellery Hall.

“We’ve been aggressively monitoring this, and we have all the housing directors aware of this and they’re reporting to us daily,” Orman said.

Orman added postings have been put in all residence halls and information has been sent to a Greek adviser for dissemination to all Greeks.

“All of the residence halls have been flyered and postered and all of the cleaning procedures that were in place in Sellery have been put in place in all dorms,” Orman said.

University Housing directors will report to Orman on the outbreak again today, she said.

UHS recommends all students frequently wash their hands and apply sanitizer before every meal to avoid contracting norovirus.

UW spokesperson John Lucas said any students who think they have contracted the virus should help stop the spread by not going to class or work and should contact their professors if they need to make up any assignments or exams due to the illness.