Friends honor victim of stabbing

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]PlazaVigil_JS[/media-credit]

Family, friends and community members gathered outside the Plaza Tavern late Wednesday night to remember Juan Bernal, who was stabbed outside the bar a week ago.

“He did pass, but we’re not celebrating his death, we’re celebrating his life,” Bernal’s close friend Ulises Palacios said. 

Bishop Eugene Johnson of Madison Pentecostal Assembly, whose grandson was one of Bernal’s roommates, delivered the memorial to a crowd of people holding candles and balloons.

“It seemed to everyone that he was a cornerstone of love, a magnet for niceness,” Johnson said. “I noticed that a lot of the friends had mixed heritage, but there was no anger. They just brought out the good in each other.”

The candlelight vigil ended with the release of balloons into the air, representing Bernal’s hopes and dreams.

Johnson encouraged those present to hug one another and remember love, not hate, when remembering Bernal.

After the ceremony, friends of Bernal wearing T-shirts with his face on them gathered to embrace one another.

“This is Juan’s spot now,” Palacios said. “This is where we’re going to come have a good time in his honor.”

Justin Stout, 31, of Madison, was charged with reckless homicide Tuesday with a cash bail of $100,000. 

The incident occurred last week after Bernal and Stout got into a dispute over the music playing on the jukebox inside the Tavern.

Stout and Travis Knapp, who is also in custody, allegedly left the tavern and waited for Bernal to exit. After the fatal stabbing occurred, both men fled the scene. Bar patrons were able to chase Knapp down, who then led police to Stout.

The Plaza Tavern had no history of criminal activity before this incidence.

“The Plaza is one of the safest bars I’ve ever been to,” said Ald. Eli Judge, District 8.

Johnson said students should not be worried that what happened is an “epidemic” or something that will continue to happen.

“We just want them not to fear this moment,” Johnson said. “There’s no lingering anger that anybody has to be afraid of to come near here.”