County beefs up medic reserve

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk called on all prospective and retired medical personnel Thursday to join a medical reserve to be used in emergencies and disasters.

Falk told reporters Thursday about the county’s Medical Reserve Corps, a team of about 60 that will be ready to assist doctors and nurses in the event of a tornado, plane crash, fire or another emergency.

Because medical personnel from hospitals would be busy attending to patients during an emergency, the team is looking for people who do not currently work in the medical profession and would be willing to volunteer their time to provide additional help for those needing attention.

“We in Dane County hope that we will never have to experience disasters that will warrant us asking for these great volunteer services,” Falk said. “But we want to be ready in case there is.”

The medical reserve was formed in 2006, but currently is only a network of mental health professionals.

Dane County Emergency Management Director Kathy Krusiec said in addition to retired doctors and nurses, the county is interested in having University of Wisconsin students join the team. Already, Dane County has been in contact with the UW School of Pharmacy to recruit students.

“If we are taxed, if a situation goes on for a long duration and we have to supplement the staff that is already at our hospitals and our clinics, we will have trained people who have already been credentialed and verified so they will be ready right from the moment they’re called to respond into our communities,” Krusiec said.

Volunteers will not perform extensive medial procedures but will serve as assistants in the field.

Falk said the county has also coordinated with hospitals to make sure they have proper pharmaceuticals on hand at all times in case of an emergency.

“This is one of those next steps we want to make in Dane County so that we are always prepared lest disaster happens,” Falk said.

Similar programs have been formed in the Milwaukee and Green Bay areas, and some of the groups have been called up to serve, in one case during a fire at a special needs facility.

All team members are volunteers, and funding for their training is coming from grants from the federal Department of Homeland Security and the National Association of County and City Health Officials.

To sign up, residents can call 608-283-3989 or visit http://www.countyofdane.com/citizenCorps/mrc.aspx.

Applications will be screened, and those selected will be provided with training.