MATC program ‘changing lives’

Almost eight months into a teaching partnership with Madison Area Technical College, the Dane County Jail is offering an education program to its inmates that officials say could turn around prisoners? lives.

Support by a $33,000 grant from United Way of Dane County, MATC and Dane County Jail entered a partnership in August 2007 in which teachers from MATC provide instruction for inmates who volunteered for the program.

Five MATC teachers divide the 249 inmates into different classes where they learn social studies, science, reading, writing and math, said Helene Smythe-Eagle, coordinator of the program and full-time instructor at MATC.

Eighteen students have already earned General Educational Development certificates from the program, which also offers a High School Equivalency Diploma.

In addition to the five general content areas, students aiming to earn a HSED receive instruction in civics, health and employability.

?We?re not out to save the world, but we?re out to provide education ? and we believe it changes lives,? Smythe-Eagle said.

To enroll in the program, inmates simply need to fill out a form, according to Elise Schaffer, public information officer for the Dane County Jail.

Once enrolled, MATC assesses inmates with the Test of Adult Basic Education, which, according to Smythe-Eagle, usually indicates the grade level of the inmate.

?It?s an opportunity that people can take to better themselves,? Schaffer said. ?The more people that can take advantage of that, the better.?

Students are randomly assigned to a classroom with about 10 to 12 students where they receive a very personalized education from their instructor because they test in on varying levels, Smythe-Eagle said.

?You can come into the program on a 10th-grade reading level and a fourth-grade level in math,? Smythe-Eagle said. ?We work from that.?

The tone in the classroom is usually quiet, and students work independently with some direct instruction. Instructors give progress assessments frequently and assign heavy loads of homework to keep students busy.

Smythe-Eagle said instructors give students a lot of encouragement and praise at the beginning to help them connect with the material and feel successful.

?What we have seen is incredible changes in [inmates?] whole outlook on things,? Smythe-Eagle said. ?From my perspective, they come out of a situation of a lot of failures in a lot of areas. It promotes a different way of looking at things where you are feeling successful.?

According to Smythe-Eagle, this program is a good addition to Dane County Jail, which tends to have a bad reputation.

?I think it?s good to know some good things that are happening in the sheriff?s office,? Smythe-Eagle said. ?There is a hard stigma to overcome, and this might help a bit.?

MATC has instruction in a number of county jails including Columbia, Bock, Jefferson, Oregon Correctional and Thompson Correctional. They also have a program with Huber work release inmates from Dane County Jail. These students attend classes in the South Madison Learning Center.

?The bottom line for folks in these types of situations is education can lead to better employment, job security and self-worth,? Smythe-Eagle said.?I absolutely believe that, because I?ve seen it happen.?