State budget remains behind

The Wisconsin Legislature failed to pass the 2007-09 state budget Monday after spending eight hours in a special session at the Capitol.

Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle introduced his new compromise version of the state budget bill seven days ago, which was passed by the Democratic-controlled Senate and then rejected by the Republican-controlled Assembly late Monday night.

After four hours of deliberation, the Senate passed Doyle's budget 18-14. Josh Wescott, spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Judy Robson, D-Beloit, said the Senate has done its job by passing the budget.

"People are tired of the partisan bickering and the blame game," Wescott said. "So we voted on and passed [the budget] bill in the state Senate this afternoon."

Wescott added Wisconsin residents are suffering because of the budget stalemate.

"Every day that passes without a budget there are consequences," Wescott said.

But Assembly Majority Leader Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, is happy Doyle's budget failed to pass last night, according to his spokesperson John Murray.

The bill failed 53-44, with three Democrats voting against the proposed budget. Murray said state taxpayers could not incur the tax increases Doyle proposed.

"The taxpayers simply couldn't afford a $1.1 billion tax increase," Murray said. "The speaker is certainly pleased a bipartisan majority of the state Assembly rejected Gov. Doyle's increase budget."

Murray added the Assembly's bipartisan vote against the bill shows Doyle's current budget proposal "simply will not pass through the Legislature."

Yet, Doyle said in a statement released late Monday night he is extremely disappointed the state budget was not passed by the Assembly Monday. Doyle introduced his first version of the budget more than nine months ago, and the version that was voted on Monday was introduced one week ago.

"Under the Constitution, it is the Legislature's job to pass a budget, and for nearly nine months they have failed to do it," Doyle said in the statement. "They have failed once again and do not seem to have any plan on how to meet their duty. The only budget the Republican Assembly has passed slashes health care, education and public safety, and I will not let that happen."

Doyle added residents throughout the state are being financially impacted by the standoff in the Capitol. Taxes are slated for an increase if the budget is not passed because more funds are needed to pay the rising cost of living for the state.

"The cost to operate school buses, pay heating bills and maintain roads has gone up, and lawmakers refuse to deal with it. The state is spending more than we are taking in, and we will be unable to fund essential services that protect the health and safety of our citizens," Doyle said in the statement. "I hope that lawmakers get the message now — we are nearing an emergency."

Both Wescott and Murray said legislators are headed back to the negotiation table soon.

"[Huebsch] is committed to getting a budget done soon," Murray said. "He looks forward to being in touch with the Senate Democrats, the governor and his staff."

Wescott had similar sentiments, adding, "It's mid-October and time for a budget."