Nolan sisters call on public

Former University of Wisconsin-Whitewater student Kelly Nolan's sisters urged the public Monday to provide the police with any information regarding Kelly's unsolved murder case from this summer.

Kelly, a 22-year old student, went missing in the early hours of June 23 while in Madison for the summer.

After searching Madison and surrounding community area, the woman's body was discovered in a wooded area on July 9 in the Town of Dunn — approximately 10 miles from the location she was last seen alive.

According to Joel DeSpain, the Madison Police Department's public information officer, the police department has interviewed hundreds of people and generated thousands of pages of reports, but no arrests have yet been made.

DeSpain said the police department is currently reaching out to people who may now have come back to the city of Madison in the last few weeks and were here through the weekend of June 22-23.

"We believe there could have been people who were in Madison — young people, perhaps, people who go the university — who may have seen Kelly Nolan downtown, maybe even talked with her or walked with her, who then left town the following Monday," DeSpain said. "Despite the fact this has been a national story, this may not have been on their radar."

DeSpain said the MPD is hoping people may have left and were unaware Nolan disappeared and was subsequently killed.

UW student April Nolan, Kelly's younger sister, asked the public's assistance in providing information concerning the disappearance and death of her sister.

"We believe there are other persons in the community who know what happened to Kelly and have not yet contacted the police," April said yesterday at Library Mall. "We urge them to contact the police."

Candice Nolan, Kelly's oldest sister, reiterated the sentiment and said she asks the public to come forward and bring any information that may help them answer any questions.

"We have full faith that the Madison Police Department will bring justice where justice is needed," Candice said. "We ask that you find it in your hearts to come forward."

DeSpain said the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Kelly's murder has been increased to $12,000 by an anonymous donor, and the incident was even posted on America's Most Wanted.

Nonetheless, DeSpain said he urges students and community members to be safe and travel in groups while being cognizant of their alcohol consumption.

"There will be justice brought to this community and the Nolan family," DeSpain said.

Kelly Nolan was last heard from when she called one of her sisters just after midnight June 23, while partying with friends at State Street-area bars.

Shortly after, an employee of Amy's Café, 414 W. Gilman St., was walking with Nolan early when the two allegedly met a man who said he knew Nolan.

The employee allegedly left Nolan with this man and then had no further contact with her.

— Nick Penzenstadler contributed to this report.